Cat ageing

ambersophia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a long haired black rescue cat who I named Zara she is absolutely beautiful and having her only 3 weeks we have a already formed a strong bond. The only thing concerning me is her age. I was told by the lady who rescued her that she was 3 years old but recently she said she was mistaken and the cat is 4 nearly 5 but I'm worried she is older. I have noticed patches of gray hair all around her body and her eyes seem cloudy. In addition the vet said she had bad teeth. This all may be normal for a cat of 4? But I'm worried she may be older. What do you guys think? Would like your help.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet have an estimate on the age of this cat? It is really hard to tell cat age just by looking since they are good at hiding their age. I don't think that most cats gray due to age in the way dogs do, but I might be mistaken. My past cat only showed her age when she was fifteen and could no longer retract her claws due to arthritis otherwise she still looked exactly as she had when she was younger.

I don't think bad teeth necessarily means a cat is old. When we first took my three year old cat to the vet, the vet said his teeth were bad. We know his age since the shelter we got him from had him as a two time return and were the ones who adopted him out as a kitten so they knew how old he was.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi @AmberSophia  and welcome!!

Correct, cats do not get grey areas as dogs do, especially a dog's face.

There are some ways to tell though, some are very subtle though.

Yes, teeth are a great indicator, not only how clean/not they are, or having bad teeth, but more-so the wear, how brittle they look, if they have clear tips, tightness around the gumline, etc.

Older cats eyes change too, the colored part (Iris) will get flecks, rust colored usually, and the color will become slightly broken up rather than the formerly solid green, or yellow, etc.

The fur also changes, but this is tricky unless you knew the cat prior. Older cats fur is not as fresh and new looking.

Mild changes to the hind legs muscles, when standing, they don't feel as firm at the thigh, they must be standing holding their weight to feel though.

Behavior is an indicator too. Females get more headstrong and even crabbier, less patience basically. They know what they want and there is no swaying this :)

I just looked closer at her pic, her eyes do look like an older cat.

Regardless, you love her and she loves you, so enjoy the many years the 2 of you have together :)

Last edited:

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi @AmberSophia and welcome!!

Correct, cats do not get grey areas as dogs do, especially a dog's face.

There are some ways to tell though, some are very subtle though.

Yes, teeth are a great indicator, not only how clean/not they are, or having bad teeth, but more-so the wear, how brittle they look, if they have clear tips, tightness around the gumline, etc.

Older cats eyes change too, the colored part (Iris) will get flecks, rust colored usually, and the color will become slightly broken up rather than the formerly solid green, or yellow, etc.

The fur also changes, but this is tricky unless you knew the cat prior. Older cats fur is not as fresh and new looking.

Mild changes to the hind legs muscles, when standing, they don't feel as firm at the thigh, they must be standing holding their weight to feel though.

Behavior is an indicator too. Females get more headstrong and even crabbier, less patience basically. They know what they want and there is no swaying this :)

I just looked closer at her pic, her eyes do look like an older cat.

Regardless, you love her and she loves you, so enjoy the many years the 2 of you have together :)
Thanks for explaining the rust specks in my 16yr olds eyes. she is amazing for 16 (a tortie) whos sweet and I rescued her one day from destruction at fairmont animal shelter 2001 castro valley.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently got a long haired black rescue cat who I named Zara she is absolutely beautiful and having her only 3 weeks we have a already formed a strong bond. The only thing concerning me is her age. I was told by the lady who rescued her that she was 3 years old but recently she said she was mistaken and the cat is 4 nearly 5 but I'm worried she is older. I have noticed patches of gray hair all around her body and her eyes seem cloudy. In addition the vet said she had bad teeth. This all may be normal for a cat of 4? But I'm worried she may be older. What do you guys think? Would like your help.
BEAUTIFUL coat! and face too. Did you name her after Zara McDonald? now theres a big cat lover

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're welcome, glad it was helpful!
Note that these eye changes can happen at 6, 10, 15, any age but most commonly in seniors, just varies from cat to cat.
So having flecks does not necessarily make the kitty a senior :)

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say - Zara is BEAUTIFUL!