Cat afraid of ceiling fans?

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have a new cat, who is getting used to our house little by little. He mostly stays in my teenage sons room, which is his “homebase.” He mentioned that he thinks the cat might be afraid of the fan, because even though his is not on, he keeps looking at it. Today he was with me in the living room, and had curled up with me and he kept glancing up at our ceiling fans, which are slowly turning high up on our cathedral ceiling to move the heat down into the room. He glanced up at them again and then left the living room. He is approximately seven years old, and has been very friendly with everyone but not quite at home everywhere in the house, yet. Has anyone encountered this? And what can we do to get him used to the fans? We really do need the ones in the living room to be on in order to heat up the room properly

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My Max never liked ceiling fans. When we turned it on, he would glance nervously at it several times but would eventually ignore it.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have a new cat, who is getting used to our house little by little. He mostly stays in my teenage sons room, which is his “homebase.” He mentioned that he thinks the cat might be afraid of the fan, because even though his is not on, he keeps looking at it. Today he was with me in the living room, and had curled up with me and he kept glancing up at our ceiling fans, which are slowly turning high up on our cathedral ceiling to move the heat down into the room. He glanced up at them again and then left the living room. He is approximately seven years old, and has been very friendly with everyone but not quite at home everywhere in the house, yet. Has anyone encountered this? And what can we do to get him used to the fans? We really do need the ones in the living room to be on in order to heat up the room properly
It's something new to watch he will adjust and eventually not even notice it.