Cat acting weird. "sleepwalking". what's wrong with her?

brittany brown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old tabby was sleeping and she lifted her head up and started looking around with her eyes half closed. then she sat up and started swaying around trying to hold her head up and started pawing at the air in slow motion. then she closed her eyes. she woke up and started acting normal again but then just now (after i started typing this) she threw up. She has been eating normally and i haven't noticed any litter box problems. I've seen her act like this one time before, a couple weeks ago. She was walking low to the ground and in slow motion but there was no vomiting. 

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmmmm take your kitty to the vet.

the throw up is not normal, or at least it doesn't sound to me...based on what you have described..

however my cat does the same in regards to "sleep walking", also a tabby, but male. he will bunny kick in his sleep and paw at the air, or he'll start grooming himself in his sleep. like, he's dead asleep when he's doing it too....

but back to the vomit...

have you been introducing new food in to her diet? that could be the cause...

a vet check for the vomiting might be in order if it doesn't get better. also did she throw up randomly, or was it a hairball? 

animals throw up all the time for various reasons....and sometimes its good that they did throw up. means whatever was in their tummy was not agreeing with them, and its better to just get it out of the system as opposed to let it pass through the system.

hope others can chime in with more advice/insight into your situation!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would take her to the vet for a check; but I don't know that the throwing up is necessarily connected to the "sleepwalking" that she seems to be doing.  I don't know that I've ever seen any of my kitties actually get up while still sleeping.  They'll twitch and kick and things and Mooch has rolled off the arms of our couch probably 2-3 times a year in her sleep; but that's the most I've personally witnessed. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure which part of what you described is sleepwalking. Can you elaborate more? How do you know she's still "sleeping" when she moves? So far it sounds like normal cat-dreaming behavior. Odd, maybe, but definitely not uncommon. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly think you should take you cat to the vet for a check-up, blood work, etc., asap. Definitely make notes and times of when you see this behavior happening. I would not consider this sleep walking nor anything else related to sleep, IMO. There may be something "neuro" going on. It is possible that the vomiting and this behavior are related in some way. Again, a vet would be able to answer your questions. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for your kitty. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly think you should take you cat to the vet for a check-up, blood work, etc., asap. Definitely make notes and times of when you see this behavior happening. I would not consider this sleep walking nor anything else related to sleep, IMO. There may be something "neuro" going on. It is possible that the vomiting and this behavior are related in some way. Again, a vet would be able to answer your questions.
for your kitty. Keep us posted.
again, I hope you take her in if you have not already done so. it is very possible she gave herself a concussion.