Cat acting weird after starting antibiotics, should I worry?

Miisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TLDR; Cat had mild flu symptoms for 2 months, worse flu symptoms for a week, got described antibiotics and pain meds at the vets. After starting the antibiotics begun acting very strangely, threw up 2 times, doesn't eat as much as usually, tries to hide from us constantly, avoids contact. Is this a "normal" reaction to the antibiotics, or should I take her back in ASAP?

About two months ago my 9 year old female cat started showing some symtoms of the flu, but very minor ones. Her nose would be stuffy for one day, then nothing for weeks, then maybe some coughing, then nothing. She was otherwise completely normal, very energetic, good appetite, so I wasn't too worried. We don't have a car, so getting to the vet takes a lot of planning and preparations. Last Friday (12.3.2021) her state got worse. Her nose was running constantly and she'd occasionally sneeze or cough, but she was still acting completely normal. I was worried enough to ask my aunt for a day off work, and we went to see a vet on Thursday the 18th.

According to the vet the probable diagnosis is an upper respiratory infection, thought they couldn't rule out astma, cancer or a more serious infection without further investigation. My cat seemed to be in good health apart from some wheezing in her breathing, which didn't sound too bad. No fever, didn't seem to be in any pain, all looked good apart from the runny nose. They didn't take blood tests or anything else, just gave us antibiotics for 7 days and some pain medication, and said that if she doesn't show signs of improvement after 3 weeks, or gets worse, we should go back. I'm just not sure if this is getting worse, or just a reaction to the antibiotics.

The cat, Hipsu, is usually a very very social cat. She sleeps in my bed every night, always purring and making biscuits, even during the week when she was more sick. However, since we started the antibiotics and pain meds, so yesterday (friday) and today (saturday) she hasn't been acting herself. On Friday it was just her not being as social and sleeping in her cat bed. Then she started hiding, but would still come out if we gave her treats, and she still liked being pet. Today she's been very weird. She ate a little in the morning after the first med. About an hour after the second med she threw up (mostly green-ish goop, no food visible), and after that she has been hiding and almost avoiding us. She threw up again later, this time just mostly foam. She eats very little, and if I go to pet her, she will slowly leave, almost like she's hurting. Doesn't care about treats, doesn't come if you call her, just sleeps in her hiding place, and if you go to check on her she will leave and find another hiding place.

Just now I found her on the cold bathroom floor just staring at the wall. I went to sit with her, and she moved slightly further away, but didn't completely leave. I noticed she's kind of twitching, every few seconds she'll do a little twitch and lift her head slightly up, like she's falling asleep or hurting - but she's on pain medication, so she shouldn't be hurting. I'm just getting more and more worried. I know antibiotics can cause nausea and such, and you're not supposed to give them on an empty stomach, but if she's nauseous and doesn't want to eat what am I supposed to do?

My questions: Should I start asking people around if I could get her to the vets on monday, or should I just calm down for a moment and see if she gets better? At what point should I get really worried, or should I already be? I'm planning on calling the vet on Monday, but I don't know how useful they will be, since they usually just ask you to come in.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one who got all twitchy from antibiotics she was on and it turned out to be an allergy to penicillin that made her itchy. Rather than waiting until Monday, I would try to see if there is an on call vet who can advise you what to do. There are risks to it but you could try skipping her next dose to see if that makes her seem to feel better.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The greenish goop she is throwing up sounds like bile, so something is really messing up her stomach - and that might be the biggest cause for concern. If you can talk to an on-call vet to ask about both the antibiotics and the pain meds, I would do so. The antibiotics could be making her feel rough, as mentioned above, but why is she on pain meds? Those can really mess up a cat, especially if the dose is too high and/or she doesn't really need them. Unless you know for sure that she really needs to be on pain meds, I would consider stopping them and see if it helps. In the meantime, you can try one of the following things to see if you can get her eat, especially if you continue to try to give her the antibiotics.
1.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).
2.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
3.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.

If taking her off the pain meds doesn't change anything, then remove the antibiotics and see what happens.

In the meantime, you can help with any congestion she might have by running hot water in a bathroom with the door closed, to build up steam, then take her in there with you and sit for 5 or so minutes.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, from my experience, I would stop giving her the meds. I don't understand why they gave you pain meds if she wasn't in pain. If she stops eating or drinking, you'll have a much bigger problem! Also, to help her respiratory problems, run the shower on hot and have her sit in the bathroom (not the water of course). The steam should help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's now saturday-sunday night, I very much doubt I can get in contant with a vet on sunday, but I'll ask around if anyone knows a vet who will 1.) give any advice through the phone and 2.) will answer on sunday's. It's quite different in Finland and when working with such small vet clinics. The pain med was for 3 days, but to be honest I don't really know why they gave it either, it has worked fine with our previous cats (after spay) but every cat is different etc, so you never know. Either way, won't give it anymore.

I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable stopping the antibiotics before monday or whenever I can reach a vet. If the situation gets worse before we reach someone, we will stop the antibiotics too. They seem to be helping her flu-like symptoms, and stopping them halfway for no reason would be bad, but then again, if they are making her feel worse... difficult situation. We will see if she throws up during the night and how she does in the morning. Thank you to everyone, really. I'm too tired to tone-check my entire message, but I don't want to sound mean or disrespectful or anything, I appreciate you all but I just struggle with tone and often come off as defensive or aggressive.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You sound just fine! Get some rest, and keep us posted! Hoping the paid meds are the issue, and you will see a better kitty in the morning. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miisu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We didn't give the pain med today, and she's doing a lot better! Can't know for sure if it's because of the med or not, but she's not hiding, she's eating, and she's coming to us for affection. I'm so relieved and just hoping she'll keep doing good!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest stopping the pain meds first, the symptoms you were giving, twitching and staring at the wall sounded more pain med related. Stop the med and make sure the vet knows her symptoms so they don't give it again, make sure it is in her chart. She could have feline herpes virus which has the symptoms you are describing, and it, in turn, changed into a bacterial upper respiratory infection. That would be why the antibiotics may help. They do not help against viruses. Feline herpes is VERY common and is not transferrable to humans. When my cats get URI's I give them an inexpensive med I get at Amazon called Feline Nose Relief. It really works for them. Otherwise, make sure she is warm, a cat heat pad would be good and run a humidifier around her, or bring her into a steamy bathroom for 30 minutes a couple of times a day. I give DMG daily to my cats to keep their immune systems up and so far they have not been sick at all, and they were a lot before I started giving it.

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T tnl You can research DMG on the internet, it has a really long real name. I learned about it when my cat got so sick the vet said he was going to die, 'any time now' I gave him this and some Life Gold for cancers I got on Amazon. I still give both every day to all three of my cats, in Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. They were diagnosed with Leukemia. The one that was supposed to die? Still here 18 months later!

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl