Cat acting weird after rabies vaccine

mzar3h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi. my baby is 9 years old and went to get his rabies vaccine yesterday. he also had a regular checkup and his glands were released, all normal. this morning i noticed he was acting a little weird, sitting in places he doesnt normally, and kinda blanking out. i didnt think too much of it at first. he has been uninterested in food all day. when i got home around 9pm, i could tell something was really wrong. he looked uncomfortable (laying in a loaf which he never does), seemed uninterested in being touched, and still wouldnt eat. i offered him his favorite food thinking he was just being picky (cat soup), which he normally licks clean within 1 minute. he lapped it occasionally for a few minutes, and then walked away with it 3/4 full. this has never ever happened, he loves his soup. he then went to loaf in his normal spot, but he wouldnt lay down and wouldnt get comfortable. i brought him to his safe space under my bed and hes now just laying quietly now. im really worried about him, he is acting very strange, lethargic, and has no appetite. google says this can happen after a rabies vaccine, but is rare. hes never had a reaction to a vaccine before, but we went to a new vet this time so maybe it was a different brand? if he is still acting this way in the morning i will call the vet and take him in for an emergency appointment if necessary. in the mean time, is there anything i can do to keep him comfortable? i sat his favorite toy in his bed with him. im thinking of bringing him some water. google also said the symptoms could be related to liver or kidney issues, which is how my last kitty passed at 16 years old, so im very worried it might be the same. i know its a common issue in older cats. any advice on how to make him more comfortable at this time? thank you so much in advance.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey! Like humans, vaccines can cause some slight fever in cats. If you have a scanning thermometer is should read between 100.5°F and 102.5°F (38.1°C and 39.2°C).

You their ears and the pads of their feet might feel hot as they allow the heat to leave their bodies. It happens if they just feel to warm as well, but it's hotter with a fever.

You can check for hydration like this: Cat Dehydration: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments.

He may eat a little less and sleep more for 48 hours which is normal. Keep food/water/litter in a smaller area and give him something padded to lay on. He might like a pillow with a dirty shirt of yours.

Magnus actually likes his carrier with a clean towel in it. It's the only time he sleep there but will do so for the next two days after vaccination each time.

I'm sure your vet will guide you further in the morning ☺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzar3h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Like humans, vaccines can cause some slight fever in cats. If you have a scanning thermometer is should read between 100.5°F and 102.5°F (38.1°C and 39.2°C).

You their ears and the pads of their feet might feel hot as they allow the heat to leave their bodies. It happens if they just feel to warm as well, but it's hotter with a fever.

You can check for hydration like this: Cat Dehydration: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments.

He may eat a little less and sleep more for 48 hours which is normal. Keep food/water/litter in a smaller area and give him something padded to lay on. He might like a pillow with a dirty shirt of yours.

Magnus actually likes his carrier with a clean towel in it. It's the only time he sleep there but will do so for the next two days after vaccination each time.

I'm sure your vet will guide you further in the morning ☺
thank you very much! i dont think he has a fever. he ate breakfast and is still a bit lethargic but hes getting better!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
thank you very much! i dont think he has a fever. he ate breakfast and is still a bit lethargic but hes getting better!
Glad to hear! It should slowly improve.

As they get older, they are more sensitive to the stress of going to the vet as well. It's a lot of stimulation! That can contribute to first day fatigue after a visit as well.