Cat acting strange, hissing and hiding

bgregory

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a cat with CHF.  He has been doing great on his medication.  I was out of town for 24 hrs. and a friend fed and medicated him.  He eats his meds with his food.  He was fine when I returned home.  He went outside after dinner for about 2 hrs.  When he returned he was acting very strange.  He acted scared, and had a hard time jumping on my lap.  He did not sleep with me last night as he always does.  He slept on the floor near the fireplace.  He did not wake me up this morning like he always does.  I was awakened by a loud noise on the back porch, and it was a huge, stray tom cat.  He was staring in the back door and my cat was cowering in the middle of the floor.  When I went to him he hissed at me and ran and hid.  He has never hissed at me.  After hiding all day and not eating, he came out when I returned from the store.  He wanted to go out, he always goes out to pee.  It was snowing, but he made his way through the snow to underneath the shed where he goes in the winter to relieve himself because it's dry under there.  He would not come back out.  He made his way to the back door several hours later, cowering down like he was still afraid.  I opened the door and he ran under the back deck.  He has been under there all night, and the windchill is supposed to be below zero.  I've called until I'm hoarse, he will not come out.  I put his old cat house with a blanket in it on the back porch, but I don't think he'll come out to use it.  I don't know if he was attacked by the stray cat (I think he has been is a fight or two with him in the past) and is just terrified, or if it is just coincidence and he became very suddenly ill and has crawled under there to die?  I'm beside myself.  He hasn't eaten, drank or had his meds all day today and it's freezing out!  He was a feral cat for the first couple of years of his life, but he now spends more time indoors.  I am out of options for getting him in.  I also don't know what I'll do if he has gone to die under there.   I can't imagine he would have gone downhill in just a matter of hours!  This is so awful, does anyone have any suggestions?  He is not interested at food at this point, so that is not an option.  Please help!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly don't know what you can do, but I really feel for you and your boy...
  If you are unable to access him, I just don't know what else you can do except to make sure that you make him as comfortable as possible in his chosen place for the time being. But I'm sure you're doing that.

All I can offer is support and

There are lots of wise people here.. hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you very soon..

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as you can, take him to the vets.  This could be all sorts of things and needs checking as it sounds like he is in pain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgregory

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply.  He actually came in very reluctantly close to midnight, just as I had given up all hope!  He appeared extremely traumatized, slinking slowly in the door in his crouched, feral cat position with his tail hanging all the way to the ground behind him.  He showed interest in food and water, so I fed him and was able to get his meds in him.  He hid throughout the night, and made his way out of hiding this morning when I got up.  He's still walking slow as if he hurts, but he had a great appetite today and made up for not eating yesterday!  His eyes were brighter, and he let me pet his head without hissing at me.  He slept comfortably on the couch all afternoon, so I'm just monitoring him closely for now, and keeping him inside.  I think he tangled with the stray tom cat and couldn't put up the fight he could when he was younger and healthier.  He kept looking out the door as if something was after him.  He's calmed down a lot now.  I'm praying in a couple of more days he'll be back to his old self.  It was a very stressful situation, thank you for your words of support. :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad... Let us know how you're going..