Cat acting strange after sterilisation

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there everyone!

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

Our cat, Rasberry, was sterilised about 2 weeks ago. She started running around immiediately after we brought her home from the vets, despite our best efforts to keep her calm and still. We did everything we were supposed to, keeping her in a smaller room, feeding her small portions of food at a time, until she wanted more herself, keeping the wound clean, and (trying) to stop her from licking it as far as possible. She's healed up pretty good, but now she's even more adamant to go outside than she was before the operation. She bites and scratches a lot. We still pick her up the way the vet told us to after the op, so we don't hurt her. We never had behaviour problems before, she has always been a sweetheart, it's just since the op she's been a bit of a handful. Might it be she's still in pain? We followed the vet's instructions to the letter. Or perhaps her hormones is still going a bit haywire before settling down?

I want her to be a happy, healthy cat. She's an house cat only, but we are in the process of leash training her; took a break though so she can fully recover first. I don't believe it's bored either, she's got tons of toys, and her collection is growing almost daily. We also switch her toys regularly, and play with her for about 2-3 hours a day. We're almost always at home, except when at work during the day, so she's not lonely. She seems irritated though, and we want to help her feel better. Please, any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I forgot to mention that her permanent teeth is coming out now as well. Might that be why she is being so irritable?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her teeth coming in is probably part of the problem.  Her hormones are still going haywire, as you so aptly put it, and will settle down over the next few weeks. 

You say that she is being leash trained.  How much was she out of the house before spaying?  Are you able to trim her nails? that has nothing to do with outside, just keeps you from getting shredded.

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn't been out of the house yet. We were still getting her used to the harness before the sterilisation. I thought it be best to not have her go out before the op, since she might get frustrated if we don't let her go out right after that. This weekend she's actually been a bit calmer so far, we just try to give her as much attention as she would let us give her haha!

We can clip her nails quite easily actually, she's used to that. We actually tried not to clip it so soon after she was sterilised, because we didn't want her to be even more miserable. She used to get a bit sulky right after we clipped her nails, hasn't happened for a while now though, but we wanted to make sure that it doesn't happen while she's still recovering. Basically we have tried to make her as comfortable as possible, without impeding on the routine too much. She's quite calm tonight, so I'm going to clip it now.

I was begiining to think she hates us because we put her in the pain by taking her to the vet. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's just getting her adult teeth, this means she's about 5-6 months old, right? So she's a teenager, and things are going to be very interesting at your house for a few months! :lol3: I don't think this has anything to do with having her spayed, except that maybe attempting to limit her activity has gotten her a little pent-up. But, mostly, this age. . .it's difficult.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's just getting her adult teeth, this means she's about 5-6 months old, right? So she's a teenager, and things are going to be very interesting at your house for a few months!
I don't think this has anything to do with having her spayed, except that maybe attempting to limit her activity has gotten her a little pent-up. But, mostly, this age. . .it's difficult.
I agree. Mine were spayed and neutered at about that same age, and believe me there wasn't anything I could do to stop them from going right back into full rough housing. Course having 2 took the pressure off me cause they had each other. But yea...that age...fun fun fun.

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHAHA! I had a laugh now, I'm very relieved to hear that. She had me worried. Luckily my fiancee and I work in shifts to play with her, she has our attention 24/7 now. That we we tire her out enough to have a decent night's sleep, we work with a plan. ;) lol! It's been a while since my last reply, but I'm happy to report that she's doing much better already, she still gets her moods, but it's not as bad as it used to be. Like I said we make sure to give her ample attention. She has learned this new thing now, where as soon as I look at my phone she shoves my phone away and puts her head in my hands instead, she really demands her cuddles hey. And yes, she's turned 6 months old on the 17th of March. But she does seem more like herself again, after the op she really wasn't acting like herself at all, might have been the pain?

Here she is laying on my lap while I was studying. That is her designated spot. Hahaha!