Cat acted like she peed but she didn't - should I be worried?

Meralake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 and a half year old old cat. She's a star and always uses her litter box. Just now she did a meow that usually announces she is going to poop (does anyone else's cat do this?). Sometimes she keeps crying until I stop in the doorway and wait for her, before she'll start to dig and do her business. Anyhow, she acted like she peed instead, but what made me think it wasn't normal is that she didn't cover up what she'd just done. So, I checked with my litter shovel and nope, nothing there.

I've heard that a cat trying to pee but not able to can be a sign of a serious emergency. She didn't act like she was hurting nor did she seem to strain, but she really did look like she was peeing so I am very surprised nothing came out. I checked the rest of her litter and she has peed at least twice since this morning and she's acting completely normal.

Should I be concerned at all? She did have to go to the vet on Wednesday this week, for unrelated things, and that was pretty stressful, so would stress have anything to do with it? I don't think I've ever seen this behavior from her before and not sure if I should be worried or not.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be an indicator of problems, however, this might be a one-off situation. If the box is still empty in another 12 hours, or if the amount is much less than normal, then call the vet and arrange to bring her in right away, in case there is some blockage.

As for "announcing her intentions," we have a couple of cats on here that do that. It's certainly unusual, but not unheard of. Generally we see it in cats who have problems with constipation (they seem proud of themselves when they go!), or cats whose owners are really on top of scooping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meralake

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can be an indicator of problems, however, this might be a one-off situation. If the box is still empty in another 12 hours, or if the amount is much less than normal, then call the vet and arrange to bring her in right away, in case there is some blockage.

As for "announcing her intentions," we have a couple of cats on here that do that. It's certainly unusual, but not unheard of. Generally we see it in cats who have problems with constipation (they seem proud of themselves when they go!), or cats whose owners are really on top of scooping.
Thank you for this!! Just as I was getting on to check if anyone had replied, my cat just went back to the litter box and peed, yay!! Didn't seem to strain, everything normal and a decent amount. I will keep watching her, but hopefully it was a one-off as you say.

I don't think my cat has constipation, but I'll double check that with my vet.

Thanks again and now I feel like I can go to sleep, lol.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure she isn't constipated, there should be a bowel movement too. if none in a couple of days, call your vet and see if you can give her 1/8 -1/4 tsp of human Miralax mixed in a small amount of lickable treat or something she likes. Cats with urinary issues usually cry when they are trying to go, then producing nothing. the tripe to the litter box increase too. Fro now, try to get her to drink more, set several bowls of water around for her to check out. This may help. Also, my vet told me something that helps in times like these. Palpate or press your fingers into her lower abdomen, around the area where her legs join her body and see if you can feel a hard mass present, which would be her bladder in an emergency, a urinary blockage. This can range from walnut size to baseball size, if you do, get her in ASAP, her bladder could explode. If it feels soft, and you do not detect any masses that are round and firm, then it is most likely a urinary tract infection, and the vet visit can be delayed by a few hours. Not an emergency, but urgent. I hope this helps.