Cat Acne/Growth/Skin Tag??

bigmachero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm really not sure where this post should fall under, so please forgive me if this is the wrong area. I was petting my cat today and noticed a black lump under his chin. The only thing I can really find online is cat acne, but it looks more like a skin tag or something? I'll attach a picture that I got of it.
If you know anything about it such as if its harmful or steps to take to treat it, please let me know.
I haven't contacted a vet or anything, yet: 1. Because its Sunday and 2. He really hates being in a carrier and especially hates any vet interaction whatsoever.
Thank you for any help.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't really tell what that might be, but it kind of looks like a scab. Is it rough like a scab would be? Have you noticed him scratching that area? That is a common place for acne, and acne can be itchy. I presume you don't use plastic bowls/dishes, do you? They tend to harbor bacteria, even if they are frequently cleaned, since the material is porous. If you are, change to ceramic or stainless steel dishes and see if that helps any.

If he goes outside or has places inside to venture where he might have rubbed his chin against something causing a wound, that could be another possibility.

Hope other members will come along soon and offer some additional ideas/thoughts!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! If the only symptom present is the black spot, this is not an ER type of emergency and can certainly wait until you are able to get an appointment with the vet. Is this the texture of a scab, rough, smooth, shiny, etc? If you investigate the suggestions above and it does not improve, definitely go to the vet for a skin check. Anything else happens like it gets larger or bleeds, go sooner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigmachero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I can't really tell what that might be, but it kind of looks like a scab. Is it rough like a scab would be? Have you noticed him scratching that area? That is a common place for acne, and acne can be itchy. I presume you don't use plastic bowls/dishes, do you? They tend to harbor bacteria, even if they are frequently cleaned, since the material is porous. If you are, change to ceramic or stainless steel dishes and see if that helps any.

If he goes outside or has places inside to venture where he might have rubbed his chin against something causing a wound, that could be another possibility.

Hope other members will come along soon and offer some additional ideas/thoughts!
I'll keep my eyes a little extra open for the next couple days and see about his scratching. I haven't noticed too much chin scratching lately, although that is a pretty common area for him to scratch, especially where the black bump is. Luckily, I do not use plastic bowls. It is ceramic, although I will start to give them a much more regular cleaning in case that has had any consequences here.

Thanks for the reply, really helped me to think in a different light about this :)