Cat 59 Days Pregnant. Bloody Mucus?

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You'll have to excuse me, as I'm a newbie to the site. My cat is roughly 59 days pregnant. She escaped the house on 19.12.17 after coming into heat. She was booked in for neutering when she came into heat. She was given the go ahead to have her litter and will be neutered at the earliest she can. My question is that over the last 2 days she has become extremely clingy and has to be in the same room as me, will either lay on my lap or beside me and today I have noticed a tiny amount of bloody mucus around her vagina. Is labour close? Her due date is 21/02/18 as given to us by the vet. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Crazycat159

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi. You'll have to excuse me, as I'm a newbie to the site. My cat is roughly 59 days pregnant. She escaped the house on 19.12.17 after coming into heat. She was booked in for neutering when she came into heat. She was given the go ahead to have her litter and will be neutered at the earliest she can. My question is that over the last 2 days she has become extremely clingy and has to be in the same room as me, will either lay on my lap or beside me and today I have noticed a tiny amount of bloody mucus around her vagina. Is labour close? Her due date is 21/02/18 as given to us by the vet. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Crazycat159
Difficult to tell for sure. The signs are for nearing delivery. Yet we dont have absolute certainity. For example, theoretically the mucus plug is supposed to be followed by delivery in just a few hours.
In practice we have seen it may fall out a full week before.
Early deliveries day 59 MAY occur, but its safer it comes day 65. In fact, we had forumites whom had such deliveries without problems.
Kittens dont manage well to be born premature. So hope she will endure a couple of day longer, but be also prepared for prematures. If they arent too early, they may survive, if you are prepared to fight extra.
Be sure they are warm and comfy. Have more humidity in the room. Be prepared to handfeed them / supplement feed them. Weigh them every day.

I dont want to scare you. Just warn you because IF they are prematures and alive, it will be of course be hurry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Difficult to tell for sure. The signs are for nearing delivery. Yet we dont have absolute certainity. For example, theoretically the mucus plug is supposed to be followed by delivery in just a few hours.
In practice we have seen it may fall out a full week before.
Early deliveries day 59 MAY occur, but its safer it comes day 65. In fact, we had forumites whom had such deliveries without problems.
Kittens dont manage well to be born premature. So hope she will endure a couple of day longer, but be also prepared for prematures. If they arent too early, they may survive, if you are prepared to fight extra.
Be sure they are warm and comfy. Have more humidity in the room. Be prepared to handfeed them / supplement feed them. Weigh them every day.

I dont want to scare you. Just warn you because IF they are prematures and alive, it will be of course be hurry.
Thanks stefanz she seems fine in herself otherwise and hasn't had anymore discharge since I posted, I was just a little concerned for her. We're prepared for hand rearing and possible preemies just as a precaution. She's only a young mum (1 year) so we wanted to support her as much as we can really. I'm hoping she hangs on at least a couple more days too. She has a box set up but she's not too interested in nesting anywhere at the moment so I'm taking that as a good sign :crossfingers:. She's just so uncomfortable bless her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to keep your girl 100% inside and away from intact males until her spay. She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, without even going into heat. She can be spayed when the babies are 8 weeks old.

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will do! I don't want this to happen again. Today I have noticed her belly is hanging lower and she has little boobies today that I felt when giving her a tummy rub so I'm guessing that's her milk coming in. Lots of kitten movement this morning but she can't sit still this evening when she's not sleeping x

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to bump this. My cat has started trying to move her kittens into the litter box tonight. We've had to take it out of the room for a while. It seems to distress her when we go in to go to bed. We are currently on the sofa. She has 2 nest boxes in the room and we don't interfere with the kittens. We have popped in to feed Mamma cat and give her some attention then left. Any advice? No one else goes in the room? Many thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? It’s normal for mom to be protective of her babies.

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I haven't been online. Mum is doing great with them. She settled down after a couple days I think she was just no nervous. We left the room for a few nights and slept downstairs which seemed to help her settle. Here is a pic of her babies. All doing well and absolutely gorgeous just like their Mamma.

Attachments

Crazycat159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are 8 days old today. Mum has done fantastic the last couple days. The kittens were 4 days old when she put them in the litter box but is settled now, and is doing a fab job.