Cat (3yr) Stops Using Back Legs, Attacks, Pees Herself

BlackCatWithSocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before I explain my cat's issue, I made an appointment tomorrow at 1:30pm PST and I would greatly appreciate feedback before then that may help identify the issue for us to further inform the vet. Also, I tried to avoid pleasantries or over-explanation in my post as best I can.

My cat is 3 years old, indoor only. I've owned a few cats and she is the most playful & energetic cat I've ever owned (out of 5 other cats)! Within a few hours that changed...

Monday 4pm - I fed her, she finished eating, nothing was different up until this point.

That evening, my husband went to pick her up & hold her as she was resting on the couch. And she threw her entire body in a fit of some sort and scratched him deeply on his arms. Then he said, "she went completely limp". She's never attacked him before. His hand swelled very noticeably the next morning, which we believe was due to Cat Scratch Fever.

After he told me about the scratching incident, I saw her walking toward me with what at the time, I described as a 'limp'. She tried to join me on the bed for her nightly pets but she couldn't get passed the height clearance needed to get up. This is an easy jump for her usually. In her attempt, she used her claws and her forearms to drag her way to the top until I saw her head poke over the bedside and I helped her up from there by grabbing under her forearms avoiding her back-legs in case of them being in pain. Also, she didn't scratch me and she got her pets that night.

Tuesday morning, I woke up to her on the ground next to the bed. She sometimes sleeps on the bed but her favorite spot to sleep at night is the tallest bunk on the cat tree. I've never woken up to her sleeping next to my bed like that. Although, since she was having trouble with her back-legs getting on the bed, it makes sense she didn't go up the cat tree.

That day she limped-walked to her favorite sunny spot but didn't move anywhere else. Which tells me she still had the inclination and will to still try to go about her normal routine. I would visit her several times checking on her and between pets try to ask her, "what's wrong, cutie pie?". She would look at me but didn't respond much to the petting.

Tuesday mid-day, she came to the bedroom finally leaving her spot. I helped her onto the bed again and she settled into a blanket. An hour or so goes by and suddenly my husband yells for me. When I came in, he said she peed on herself while laying on the bed. Sadly, she didn't even try to get up. He said she ran away like normal when he yelled out. In regards to our soiled blanket, I said 'no worries' and we washed it.

Today's Wednesday, and since that incident, I regularly take her to the kitty litter and that's the only time she goes. Otherwise she stays in the same spot all day. When she's on all fours she slowly limps her way without loosing her balance much except once when she lost her balance in the kitty litter. She is now choosing to stay in a crevasse under the bathroom sink which she's also never done. She's become anti-social and doesn't have much of an appetite but does eat in small amounts with help.

I did run my hand over her back legs to check for areas of pain and she never got upset. This leaves me to wonder, are her legs not working? Are they loosing strength? I believe that they're not broken and it's something else. The day that all these symptoms appeared, I was home all day and never heard her meow in distress. She seems very distant and unhappy now. She has such a unique personality and I can't believe how much of her personality is gone... I will continue to research on my own to find out what I can but am looking forward to reading any comments as well. Thank you.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Almost sounds like she pinched a nerve, or maybe slightly injured the lower part of her spine. It could also be something as simple as a really bad pulled muscle. Without knowing exactly how she was picked up when this first happened, only a medical professional could tell you what's going on inside.
Having a limp is better than the back legs not working. Those 2 situations are very different. Becoming antisocial, eating less, and peeing outside of the litter box can all be signs of pain. If she doesn't feel like moving, that's ok and I'd really avoid picking her up more than you have to, just to avoid making the injury any worse.
From what's been said, it doesn't appear to me that this is going to be permanent.
Please keep us posted with what the vet says.
My guess is she's still in pain and that the vet will probably give you a course of pain meds.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mr. Meow Mr. Meow . It sounds like pain is interfering with her movement. I would put down flattened cardboard then puppy pads underneath soft, washable bedding for her to lie on. You could give her comfort grooming with a soft toothbrush to help her keep her furs tidy - use soft, short strokes in a "J" movement that mimics a mama kitty's licks. Please keep us updated!