Cat 3 weeks post spay and very active

zhuuyeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat spayed 3 weeks ago and she ended up with a large seroma. Instead of the usual 2 weeks, the vet advised us to keep her isolated in a small room for 3 weeks. I’ve kept her in the laundry room for nearly 3 weeks and she was doing just fine. No trying to jump on the washer and dryer or running around or anything. Except today. She ended up jumping on the washer and then climbed onto the shelf above it. Our washer and dryer are elevated on drawers so they’re extra high. Her seroma is almost gone now but I’m terrified that because of that huge jump, it’s going to get bigger again and then we’ll have to start the whole isolation thing all over again. I’m physically exhausted because I haven’t slept much for the past 3 weeks. I’ve been sleeping on the floor in the laundry room with her.
I’ve relocated her to my room and there are still furniture that she can jump on like my bed, the chair, the desk, the windowsill, my bed frame, but I thought that those would all be safer options than her jumping on the extra high washer and dryer. I’m going to frequently monitor her spay site for any swelling but I’m at my wits end. Am I doing the right thing by relocating her to my room? I’m just so worried that a large seroma will form again. There’s no way I can do this for another few weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhuuyeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat spayed 3 weeks ago and she ended up with a large seroma. Instead of the usual 2 weeks, the vet advised us to keep her isolated in a small room for 3 weeks. I’ve kept her in the laundry room for nearly 3 weeks and she was doing just fine. No trying to jump on the washer and dryer or running around or anything. Except today. She ended up jumping on the washer and then climbed onto the shelf above it. Our washer and dryer are elevated on drawers so they’re extra high. Her seroma is almost gone now but I’m terrified that because of that huge jump, it’s going to get bigger again and then we’ll have to start the whole isolation thing all over again. I’m physically exhausted because I haven’t slept much for the past 3 weeks. I’ve been sleeping on the floor in the laundry room with her.
I’ve relocated her to my room and there are still furniture that she can jump on like my bed, the chair, the desk, the windowsill, my bed frame, but I thought that those would all be safer options than her jumping on the extra high washer and dryer. I’m going to frequently monitor her spay site for any swelling but I’m at my wits end. Am I doing the right thing by relocating her to my room? I’m just so worried that a large seroma will form again. There’s no way I can do this for another few weeks.
Correction: the vet advised us to keep her in a small room for 4 weeks, not 3 weeks

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only alternative, if you want to follow the vets orders would be to confine her in a cage. Honestly, I don't think I would do that if she was my cat. You can also ask your vet to give you an Rx of sedatives for her. That might help. I would keep her in the bedroom for now if she was mine and call the vet in the morning to see if you can end this at 3 weeks instead of 4.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zhuuyeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only alternative, if you want to follow the vets orders would be to confine her in a cage. Honestly, I don't think I would do that if she was my cat. You can also ask your vet to give you an Rx of sedatives for her. That might help. I would keep her in the bedroom for now if she was mine and call the vet in the morning to see if you can end this at 3 weeks instead of 4.
I bought a crate a few days after her surgery and she hated it. We could not get her used to it at all and she would not stop throwing herself around and climbing the inside of the cage so I don’t think a cage would be good for her unfortunately. I’ll call the vet tomorrow and ask.