Castor Pollux Organix Grain Free Canned Food??

effielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found Castor Pollux ORganix Grain Free canned cat food at PetSmart earlier today and it didn't have guar gum or carrageenan in it so I picked up the two not-fish flavors... anyone know anything about it, and how it compares to BLUE Buffalo Wilderness and Wellness CORE? Those are the two brands I've been feeding my kittens most so far on my search for their favorite cat foods, but Organix was a bit less expensive than the CORE at PetSmart.

Also, since I'm between jobs right now, I'm trying to be cost effective about wet food so I was thinking of alternating a high quality canned food (grain free) with a lower quality one for my cats. I read Friskies classic pates are supposed to have a pretty good profile, opinions on that?

Thanks! 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Organix looks quite good, though I have never used it.

Rotating between any higher quality and the Friskies classic pate's (non fish) is the way I too used to cut the cost of my cat food budget,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

effielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Organix looks quite good, though I have never used it.

Rotating between any higher quality and the Friskies classic pate's (non fish) is the way I too used to cut the cost of my cat food budget,
haha, great minds think alike! :p I'm a health nut when it comes to my animals but it's always so expensive to feed them good food. :p I have pet rats and since I'm very pro natural pet foods I've started creating my own mix paired with fresh foods to make sure they get all their nutrients and stay clear of gross artificial colors and flavors. I'd make my own cat food but I can't afford a meat grinder! ;_; lol

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked up the Shredded chicken and liver version and the picture of the can lists carrageenan. Has the formula changed? Also, at 15% carbs, that's higher than I would like to see personally. I prefer canned foods with less than 10% carbs.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just calculated carbs at 20% for that one on a DMB basis, so it's actually higher in carbs than the shredded. It doesn't have carrageenan, but again, the carbs are high for a canned food. It's all the peas, carrots, flaxseed, alfafa.

effielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I'm not a fan of the alfalfa cause as far as I'm concerned that only belongs in a farm animal's stomach or a rabbit's... but I liked the fact there was no carageenan unlike my other cats' other favorite brands. :(

effielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sigh, back to foods with carageenan I guess, that's too high. 

effielove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I'll take a look at that link. Problem is one of my cats is ridiculously picky so far so it has to be stuff that's available near me in single cans since I already wasted a bunch of money on a case of EVO that she dind't like. But at least my foster kitten will eat it. lol

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I switched to raw. Reading labels, continuously having no control over ingredients in canned, and my cats just not eating can after can of stuff I could find that was good, and yet stay in my budget!
I hadn't calculated the carbs in Castor & Prollux that were carrageenan free, I'm horrible at math.

kittykatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Organix Shredded Chicken seems to be my kitty's favorite cat food, though I'm not happy about the carrageenan.  I rotate it with some others.  Here are a few of the best foods I've found in my endless search for quailtiy cat food that meets the following criteria:

*grain-free

*human grade...organic if possible

*no ingredients (including vitamins) sourced from China 

*not from animals given antibiotics, hormones, gmos, or from feedlots

*no BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, sodium nitrate, propylene glycol, propyl gallate

*no menadione sodium bisulfite

*no carrageenan

*no added sugars, salts, glycerines, preservatives, fillers, dyes

*no animal byproducts (except green tripe, organs, which have some health benefits)

*no rendered meats/fats

*no potatoes, rice, beet pulp

*BPA-free cans

*cruelty free and environmentally responsible

1) ZiwiPeak, from New Zealand, available at Amazon.com.   As of 8/1/13 they are no longer putting carrageenan in their food, that was my only gripe previously.  

2) Petcurean Go! Sensitivity, from Canada, available at Amazon.com.  They used to source their taurine from China but now they source from Japan.

3)  Party Animal, from California, available at Amazon.com.