Castile soap - safe to clean with?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this has been answered, I’ve tried looking. I usually clean with just vinegar and water but I’m looking for something else. I’d like to try Castile soap, with peppermint or lavender. Does anyone use either of those to clean their home? I wouldn’t use it directly on the cat, and I wouldn’t let the cats in whichever room until it’s dry. Just wondering if it’s safe because I have read cats do not like peppermint, and the internet is 50/50 on the lavender.
One of my goofball cats likes to smell my sons peppermint tea, so I guess it can’t bother him that much.
Just wondering if anyone has experience with these soaps (the scented ones, not the baby kind). Thanks!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use castile soap daily. Never had a problem. Never had any issues with cats.

I started using it, a while back, when my skin started breaking out for some unknown reason. I switched to castile soap and the problem went away, almost completely. I haven't looked back, since.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use castile soap for your cat, provided you get the plain kind. Don't get the kind with oils or scents in it. Cats hate the smell of peppermint or lavender! Eucalyptus and tea tree oil should be avoided. They are reported to be bad for cats. Besides, they hate the smell, too.

If you want to use castile soap for your cats, get Dr. Bronner's "Baby Mild" formula.

It has no scents, no additives, it's about as mild (non-stinging) as soap can be and it won't hurt your cat.
Just be sure to wash your cat completely clean and don't get any it your cat's eyes, nose or mouth.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've cleaned things with it (floors, walls, etc.) and have never had a problem. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've cleaned things with it (floors, walls, etc.) and have never had a problem. 🙂
Have you ever used either of the scented ones to clean? (Like your floors or walls) Did the cats seem to care at all after it was dry?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever used either of the scented ones to clean? (Like your floors or walls) Did the cats seem to care at all after it was dry?
I've used the scented ones, but, I don't let the cats in the room until it's nice and dry and no one seemed to care. I only used a drop or two per bucket of water, very diluted.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you are following the instructions on the bottle for dilution, most cleaners are safe. 😺

I've used Castile in the past with no issue. Usually the one with lavender. We use Lysol now since COVID.