Carriers?

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am picking up my kitten in about a week and half. What kind of carrier would be best? She will be riding in the car a lot because while I am at work she is going back to her old home and playing with her brother and sister. It is only about a 10 minute car ride. Also, what size carrier would be best?
Thanks
Jess

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hard sided carriers called Pet Taxi in size medium.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the best type. From what I hear, the soft cloth ones are a bit dangerous, if you were to have a traffic accident on your way to the vet, the cloth carrier would be of little protection to the cat inside it. My advice is to also make sure you put some kind of absorbant material like a towel inside, because some cats will urinate in there and then you'll have a wet stinky cat to deal with! Unless your cat is going in for a urinary problem, then leave the towel out just in case. Thank you for knowing to get a carrier! We have so many clients that don't bring their cat in anything, and once, because we are on a busy corner, a cat freaked out by a horn blaring, jumped out of his owner's arms, and ran off and was never found!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jess...I use hard sided carriers for the same reasons as above with synthetic sheep skin cuddle pads inside.
The hard sided carriers can be washed in your tub.

I always wash our carriers and pads after my kitties have been to their vet's because I don't want to transfer any germs.

I use a small dog carrier for Dexter...he is a very large adult male.
Sadie has a medium carrier.
I like them to be able to stand a little and turn around in their carrier.

Congratulations on your new kitten.

Be sure to post in the pictures only lounge.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of kitten? Or how big is this kitten expected to grow?

If a small breed/type you can use a medium carrier for frequent trips. I'd get the hard plastic kind. If the cat is expect to get over 12 lbs, get a larger carrier.

I have both soft-sided and hard - but my cats are under 8 lbs and don't need a lot of room. They seem to like smaller spaces then larger ones when riding.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I prefer the 3/4 hard sided carriers that Sherpa carries. Each of mine have their own carriers and they love them-easy to get in and out of as well as keeping them safe in the car. Also they have a carring strap for over the shoulder! Take a look at Sherpa's website, they are kinda expensive but worth the investment! Come in lots of cool patterns as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

What kind of kitten? Or how big is this kitten expected to grow?
I don't know what kind she is... she is a tortie. Her mama is little but the dad was a tabby, no clue on size tho. Also I have posted pics in the fur pics section if you want to see her now. I would bet her mom is 10 lbs or less.

mrsfishy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the hard carrier that just had the door on the end of it and that did not work so well for us. Molly is a "scaredy cat" and when we go to the vet, we'd have the hold her carrier upside down and shake it to get her out....it was very difficult and I was worried she'd get hurt. I ended up with a carrier that has a soft top on it that zippers open so I can set her down into it and lift her up out of it without any problems. The sides and bottom are hard though so I can buckle her into the car for safe traveling.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The only thing I would add is that the hard carriers with both a side and a top opening make life a bit easier if you're dealing with a scared kitty at the vet's. I have one very similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507 , and I'm very satisfied with it.

I have one top/side loader in a hard version and one just regular hard carrier. At some point in time I am going to get another to make my life even easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texbabyj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for all your help. I will probably get two carriers, a top/front loading one, and a regular one hopefully the medium size in both.