Carrier Issues

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have a 11 month old cutie that I've been diligently working with to get him to like the carrier. We adopted him almost 6 months ago and we love him very much. But, shortly after we adopted him, my husband and I were invited to spend a 2 weeks in fla this July and we accepted, got our plane tickets and a week after we realized that we have a cat and he has to come along. So I got him an airline approved carrier, and I left it out for him to explore, I started feeding him inside the carrier and take him for really short drives. Today however, I had to make an extra stop so our drive ended up a bit longer than expected. He started meow a lot and increasingly louder as time went by. I'm really worried.
How can I help him calm down for a 4hr plane ride? :(

carlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if there is much you can do except give your kitty gravol before the flight. It will help with motion sickness which is usually what happens. It will also make them a little drowsy which also helps with anxiety.
Please talk to your vet BEFORE administering any kind of drug!!!

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right things.  Just keep going, and gradually increase the times.  Also, try a flat out play session to wear him out before going into the carrier - we've done this pre 7 hr journeys (but our cats travel in cargo, so I cant tell you if he was meowing).  There is also a feliway spray - follow the directions.  And you might want to do the things mums do for little ones: a favourite toy, some irresistible treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. I'll keep going out with him then. I'm not sure if I want to give him a sedative. I read that it can be dangerous while flying. Let me know what you think about that?

carlad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I agree a sedative is not safe. My girlfriend had a 6 hour flight with her kitties and the only thing the vet recommended is gravol

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, sedatives are not a good idea - actually not legal to sedate and fly over here.  Something to do with not being able to regulate their body temp, which is affected at altitude (and particularly important when no human can keep an eye on them as cats here have to travel in the pet cargo hold)  I think.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about your 4 hour trip but I always have Bellas/Thunders carrier set out where they can sleep in it if they want.That's where I always find 1 or the other. They have only been ''tripping'' 1 time when we moved last year and to the vet this year.. and 1 time when we visited my sister in law for the weekend. I guess the word is transport.

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to have to get him sedated. He hates his carrier :(

I've tried taking him out but he meows a lot.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know from personal experience that when you have a cat in a carrier in a moving car, COVER the entire carrier with a light sheet or big towel...so cat can't see out at all.    If they can, they will often get motion sickness from seeing everything moving around them.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know from personal experience that when you have a cat in a carrier in a moving car, COVER the entire carrier with a light sheet or big towel...so cat can't see out at all.    If they can, they will often get motion sickness from seeing everything moving around them.

never heard of this. Where did you hear this from ?

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
has anyone tried using feliway spray to travel with a cat by plane?