Carpets Destroyed Couches Destroyed Blinds Destroyed

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has really destroyed my home.

Has anyone else experinced this?

Horrible, but I dont have the heart to get rid of him. I think he gave me a brain parasite that makes me tolerate him.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had him? Has anything changed recently in your home environment? A lot of the time, behavior like this in cats is caused by anxiety, so that's why I'm asking these questions. Something you could try is a Feliway diffuser, and if this doesn't help, you could maybe ask your vet about possible anti-anxiety medications.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have any cat furniture specifically for your cat? Mine can be pretty destructive too, but plenty of cat trees and a variety of things to scratch keep them happy. I have wood, cardboard, string and rubber cat scratchers placed vertically and horizontally and they use them a lot.

Does your cat have chance to go outdoors? Not alone of course, but to a catio or can he be walked on a harness?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Mingo destroyed a shower curtain and started on its replacement. It's now tied up where he can't get to it.

Sounds like your cat is bored. Have you got plenty of scratchers around? My cats leave the furniture alone and actually prefer the scratchers. I got a $6 incline scratcher from Amazon that the cats love. It's parked right next to the couch. You might also try some toys that he can use to entertain himself.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Your kitty could have liked certain kind of surface to use as a scratch post. You may have to find out what he likes.

I've bought cat a few scratch posts and scratch boards for him but he does not like the feel. He only scratches his cat tree which is sisal rope and my couch.