Carpet misery

mo2014

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old rescue cat (little Mo) has, since we had him from cat protection, stayed in the front room at night, without incident. 2 nights ago, he wet on the carpet which he has never done and clawed at the carpet by the door, shredding it. Looks like he was trying to dig his way out. Totally out of character. I'm wondering, as I was told by his rescue mum to keep him indoors at night till he was 1, could he be doing this cos he is telling me 'I'm ready to stay out at night now'. He goes out about 8pm and it's a struggle to get him in. He did it again last night (no pee) but extensive carpet damage. He has a carpet covered scratch post. As I say, Mo has been here since August, never had this. He is spayed. Is it time for my boy to go out at night and be a hunter? I had a female before, she lived to 18 and never experienced any behaviour problems.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I wold highly suggest that if he has never acted this way before you first take him to a vet and make sure he does not have a UTI or other medical problem that has caused this change.  I would also definitely do this before you let him outside- if he does have a medical problem and you let him outside, it might make the situation worse or he might go off somewhere to hide which some cats do while they are ill, and it might be very hard to find him again in that situation.

Once he has the all-clear health-wise, then you can start to think about other causes for the behavior, but I truly would advise you start there!

Good luck :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mo2014

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, I will take Mo to the vet and have him checked out, just incase:)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with a vet check to be sure there is nothing going on.  How many litter boxes does he have in the room?  If medical issues are ruled out; he may be unhappy being confined now that he is getting older.  Does he have to stay in that particular room or can he have free roam of your home?  

Welcome to TCS!