Caring/ Litter Box Training for 6 month old stray/feral cat

xkellyxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a 6mo. old stray/feral cat from a friend. I am really hoping to take care of her and keep her. It's been about 5 days and she doesn't seem to know how to use the litter box. She always ends up pooping/peeing on the floor or bed - which is a lot of work to clean. She's not aggressive or anything, just scared and always hiding. A couple days ago though, she actually ate out of my hand and was rubbing her head against my hand when I was petting her, so it does seem like I would be able to socialize her. But, she doesn't like anyone carrying or holding her and she's always hiding in hard to reach spaces. She doesn't move around much during the day and doesn't play. She keeps moving stuff around at night.

I haven't taken her to the vet yet, but I will be in a few days. Is this normal behavior (since she isn't spayed yet)? She does seem to be a little sick too with sneezing/snot and a bit of eye discharge. I think the biggest issue is the litter box. I don't want to have to give her away with my family constantly complaining.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Try putting some unfertilized potting soil in a litterbox, it may be more familiar to her.
It sounds pretty normal, yes.
Don't let anyone try to carry her or hold her - she's not ready for that and her personal space needs to be respected until she becomes more comfortable with her new normal.
You're doing a fantastic job of things with her eating out of your hand already!! Try some cat music - there's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats that are possible sources :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always sop up the urine with a paper towel and bury it in the litter box. The same with poop. They are attracted to their own scent.

I also love using Dr. Elsey's Litter Attract. It works so well and I have never had a cat not go right to the litter box when it is used.

I would get her to the vet ASAP too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xkellyxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! She's always finding hard to reach hiding spots and it's hard to get her to come out. I'm worried she won't eat or poop there, so it's hard to not carry her out. I wasn't sleeping near her until recently, and I think she is in heat. She meows like crazy at night and always trying to escape... like she's a completely different cat.
I've also heard from friends that their cats never had litter box issues. I'm hoping it's not a bigger problem and that she would be fine after getting spayed.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she ever lived inside a house before? It can take lots of time and patience for her to adapt. You are a new person for her. If this is her first time inside a home, it can take quite some time to adapt. I would block off all areas where she can hide. You do want a safe hiding space such as box with a cozy blanket or a cat tree that has a hiding hole. Yet under beds and behind large furniture should be blocked off.

How often do you visit and spend time with her?

When do you plan to get her to the vet? She needs vaccines, tests and of course spayed. She also will need to be wormed. This all should be done ASAP.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a recently adopted feral who is now indoor only who will not use a litter box. I found that when she was outside she did not have access to dirt, so just left her poop in an alley. She will use a litter box lined with a pee pad...something about the hard surface that she is okay with.

xkellyxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think she has lived in a house before. I spend maybe 2 hrs with her a day and my brother takes care of her also. It's hard to interact with her still, besides giving her food. Should I be trying to pet her more? It seems like she doesn't like us touching her sometimes - she closes her eyes shut/ finds a corner. We've confined her to bathroom for the past couple nights, since she's been going crazy (still hard to sleep with her yowling haha..). She finally used the litter box for first time! I'm glad she's progressing - hopefully she keeps going there. I have vet appt. scheduled in 6 days, I tried to get an earlier date, but it's hard to find a place that has availability.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she have any toys? Do you try to play with her? During the 2 hours you spend with her, what are you doing?

Be sure you are sitting on the floor and not looming over her. Watch direct eye contact. Cats (especially feral cats) find it threatening. I would suggest getting a long wand or dowel rod and covering the end with an old sock or soft cloth. You can just duct tape it. Use this long wand to try and touch her. I call it a pet petter. It allows you to be a bit away and then get her used to touch. I like to start this process when her back is to me so she doesn't see it coming. Most cats will learn to enjoy touch. Remember time and patience are your friend.

Here is a picture of the pet petter
Wand petting #2.JPG
Wand petting.JPG

xkellyxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I usually feed her & talk with her a little. I try to pet her - which she does allow sometimes, but I can't tell if she's enjoying it...she sits still and her eyes are shut tight. (She did purr and want me to pet her one time, I think cause she's in heat? but she hasn't reacted that way since) I have a couple toys for her - in the beginning she didn't seem to react much. I have these small plushes tied to a string, and if i move them around she moves her head and stares at them. She does seem interested, but she mostly just watches. I also spin this fidget spinner - and she stares at that a lot. The most I've seen her done is put her paw on it a couple of times, and then she stops. Maybe she plays when I'm not watching? Not too sure about that. She's also scared of noise - bags rustling, the sink, loud talking.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's also scared of noise - bags rustling, the sink, loud talking.
Yeah, sweet baby, it'll take time :heartshape:Even my boy, who isn't a feral, was somewhat the same way - plastic grocery bags bothered him a LOT for a while, as did the sizzle of food in a frying pan.

Last edited: