caring for orphaned kittens [first timer]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sugar had a big poop today! She started out with a couple of bigger pretty solid stools and then she started pooping mushy poop and a lot of it. She acted so much perkier afterward. Her butt didn't look as swollen/irritated and her belly was a lot softer feeling. I hope this is just the beginning of getting things on track and that she'll be happy and healthy for a long time!

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Sugar has been pooping everyday but it is pretty running and we have to clean her bedding and towels and ricebag covers a lot. She isn't straining anymore or acting in pain and she has been peeing on her own, squatting and peeing. We want to start incorporating a litter pan. Tonight she pooped on the towel [where she plays when I'm feeding her] and she squatted and peed and then a bit later she squatted and 2 tiny drops of watery looking blood about the consistency of her poop lately, came out. She didn't act like it bothered her and she went about her business. I haven't given her any lactulose since Friday when she had her first big poop, same with yogurt. Should this be a concern?

Also she is running like a beast now and climbing on the little cat scratcher/tower we have. She bats little jingly balls around and has a lot of fun. She always wants to play during her feedings [usually eats part of her bottle, then plays, then eats the rest].

How should I start incorporating more solid/mushy food into her diet? Any tips on how to get her to eat it?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Sugar now? If she is running and playing, she probably is ok to eat and drink on her own.

How about an updated pic? She sure is a cutie!

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sugar turned 4 weeks old on Saturday. She is def. running and playing and is a speedy little thing. Any tips on how to get her to eat/drink on her own? Also is it okay to start a litterbox?

Her poop is still really runny. I had to clean it up last night/this morning at 1 am when I fed her [feeding every 6 hrs].

Pics:

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems like when everything is going ok I have to worry about something else.

Her poop is really runny and its as if she can't control when/where she goes. She'll stop and squat and pee in one place but when she poops she'll just poop wherever she is and walk and poop more etc. She hasn't used the litterbox we started for her yet. I saw one drop of blood in her runny poop puddle earlier. Ugh. I know her butt has to be sore now because of the runny poop all the time. I just don't know what else to do. The vets & techs are just really no help when I ask them unless I take her in AGAIN and pay for ANOTHER visit.

She just finished up her Albon today. She's been off the lactulose since Friday.

What should I do?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tested her stool right? For parasites? You know, honestly, if you are not getting a good explanation as to why the stool probs, get a second opinion.. I know, more money. I can certainly relate to that! But in the long run, if you get a definative answer and a new approach, it may well be the bargain.

Just keep redirecting her to the box. When she poops somewhere she shouldn't, scoop it up and put in the box and show her. Hopefully the scent will draw her back. Leave it in there. Same with urine although a bit more difficult.

She is a major LOOKER! What a little darling! I love the pics esp the one with her paw by her mouth. She could be a whole calendar!

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She peed in the litterbox last night but she pooped all over the newspaper. It's so runny that it's hard to put it in the litterbox or control where she's going. Since we moved her to a bigger box and put the newspaper and litterbox, she has started at least going on the newspaper as opposed to her blanket. It was really runny and one part was watery with one drop of blood again.

She has been tested for parasites. They've actually done 2 fecal tests... each one by a different vet. I took her to the vet here in town when she was first constipated and bloody and they did one and then when it didn't get any better after a week I took her to the vet in the neighboring town and they did one there and gave her a course of Albon just in case even though the test came back negative.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the newspaper and all in the litter box. See what happens. As for the blood, I don't have an answer.

Try googling and see what you come up with. I will give it a try too.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read that the lining of the anus is very sensitive in cats. The runny stool may have it irritated and be causing it to bleed a little.

finsterhead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry I have been MIA. Kids and kittens and cats and outside animals keeping me busy. Sugar sure is a darling. Just too cute. I don't understand the runny stool still. Especially if they have looked at her stool under a microscope. I would start a new thread and ask on here because more people won't read this thread all the way through to see that there is a problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sugar's stool seems to be pretty normal now and she is using the litterbox full time. I am still in the process of weaning her and facing a dilemma which I posted a seperate thread about.

I was also wondering if she is old enough now at 5 weeks to play with the other kitten who is about 8 weeks? He is really rough and rambunctious and while she is quite the fiesty thing he seems to be a lot more rough than her.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd let them play, but while I was in the room. Start slowly, a few minutes as many times a day as you can. Sugar may be smaller, but a hiss from her will tell the other little one to back off, hopefully. Have a paper bag handy so they can run in and out of it. Or a box with little doors and windows they climb through. I could sit and watch them play for hours.

There is nothing cuter than kittens playing. Sugar is missing out on that. She would normally be with her sibs. So, I think it would be good for her and the other kitten too.

Let us know how it works out.

a&as mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been letting her play with him some but he's really rough. He's two or three weeks older than her I believe and he is a monster. He tackles her and tries to bite her and she just scrunches down and lets him. Only a couple times has she hissed or swatted him back, so we usually have to seperate them if he gets too rough.

I am still having poo troubles with this little one. They're both supposed to get their vaccinations next Thursday and I'm supposed to call the vet back today to see what to do about her sore, irritated little butt and poo troubles.

She's eating mushy cat food and occasionally still taking the bottle and she drinks sips of water here and there but not much at all which kinda bothers me even though my one boy cat [who is 4 yrs old now] rarely ever drinks water because he eats canned food which has broth/gravy/wetness to it. So I don't know.

I'm trying to do the best I can for her.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you are doing the best for her and the other baby! You should be very proud.

I guess let her get a bit more weight on her and then it may be a more even match between the two.

Believe me, you have done so much for them. More than so many people would do. You have good support too.

I wish I lived closer, I'd give you a hand and snuggle that sweet Sugar!!