Caring For A Stray After Neutering

KathrynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I am looking for ideas/suggestions on how to care for a stray cat after getting him neutered. I can't bring him in because I have two indoor cats who can't handle having another cat in the house. I do bring him in the house (specifically the basement) occasionally but there is a bit of mildew down there and not sure how healthy it would be as a recovery place. Plus the basement is full of stuff and I couldn't just leave him down there unless he was in a cage or something.

A little background, last summer on a very hot weekend a cat showed up on my back patio. It was so warm out I gave him some water. Later he was still there so I gave him some food. I posted photos and descriptions of him on Craigslist and the local animal shelter. No responses. He has adopted me. I already have two formerly feral cats that live inside and they just can't handle another cat in the house. My plan is still to find him a home but I need to get him fixed. I know I have waited too long already. He is a great cat. Don't tell my other cats but he is much more affectionate and loving. When I'm outside he follows me around while I work in the garden sometimes lays around my neck while I do pruning. I love him. In addition to the neutering, I need to get him his shots and am not sure what they are. I do give him flea treatment monthly. Any ideas/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for helping out this guy. The two main vaccinations are Rabies and FVRCP Distemper. Do you have a bathroom or bedroom that you could put a gate on?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When it comes to male ferals being neutered the ideal is to keep him in a garage, bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, dog kennel, basically a temperature controlled environment with access to food and water for 24-48 hours (24 if the weather is good, 48 if it is cold where you are) while the medications get out of their system and ensure they don't have excess bleeding after surgery. I've seen some who trap a high number of cats who just leave them in the traps overnight with some food and water. You don't *have* to keep him inside or supervised for longer then that. In fact, if he is a true feral cat keeping him in longer can stress him and prolong his physical recovery.

Per this from the Alley Cat group there isn't a problem just keeping them in the trap for up to 48 hours provided they have food and water.
Post-Surgery Care

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you build him an outdoor shelter for when he recovers? He sounds like a great cat already!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always keep my cats in their traps in my garage or basement depending on the weather. The space needs to be at least 60 degrees. When I do TNR, I do my best to trap the morning of the appointment. Then after the neuter, they spend the night in my garage or basement in their trap. I have a divider so I can give them food and water. I release the next morning. Males recover very quickly.

Do you have a large dog cage you could put him? That would work too.

I have brought 5 feral cats into my home over the years. I never thought my resident cat would accept another cat. He hated all cats. Yet, 5 year later and he is buddies with 2 of them and the other 3 he is just getting to know. If you do introductions properly (i.e. very very slowly) most cats will learn to live together. It just takes lots of time and patience. The key is to not rush the process and be sure the new kitty has a room of his own for base camp.

THank you for taking care of this guy. Neutering him is one of the kindest things you can do for him. Also be sure to have him checked for FIV and FELV.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right away I want to say thanks so much for caring for him as well and as lovingly as you do, He does sound like a wonderful cat! He's obviously quite attached to you - which reflects how wonderfully you do care for him. He's definitely chosen you :) And how wonderful that you care for 2 ferals already!

And you're right - neutering him needs to happen asap. As mating/kitten season begins in full force (right about now) his urge to wander further and further, and push more and more to mate will lead to dangerous wandering and even more dangerous fighting. His life will absolutely be put more and more in danger during this season (not to mention adding unneeded kittens to the mix - - which I know you're already thinking about too).

Yes - building him a shelter and providing water and food at all times is critical. Two links are below - - the "double rubbermaid shelter" that's explained in the second link we use alot. The first link is to Alley Cat Allies shelter page -- it offers lots of info - they're a good site for just straight info (they focus on feral - and your guy isn't feral - but you can at least glean alot from the info on the site that would be helpful).

Providing Shelter

double rubbermaid cat shelter

When you do neuter him, the main concern is keeping him enclosed where you can monitor his condition (bleeding, stitches, etc) for at least 24 hours minimum after his return, preferably 48 hours or longer. I know keeping him in the trap (if that's how you take him in and bring him home) isn't ideal -- -and it sounds as though you won't need to trap him anyway. We keep our post-surgery ferals in a large dog crate -- - do you have anyone you know with a large dog that you could borrow a crate from? He could then be kept in any room since he'd be contained.

I certainly understand the concern about bringing him into your indoor environment with your current indoor cats - - it's never a certainty. But I'll echo what shadowsrescue shadowsrescue says above - - we've been very pleasantly surprised every time we've introduced a new cat to the current indoor gang - - with the key for us being very, very slow introductions. In fact - I just walked out of my bedroom (I work from home) where the last one we brought in (a feral that we TNR'd and never intended to bring her in - but someone began poisoning the feral cats in our neighborhood) was lying in a fluffy ball intertwined with another of our older kitties (who has never been a big fan of new members to the group). But we did take the introduction very, very slowly. VERY slowly. Nine times out of ten - when I (or people I counsel) truly take it as slowly as needed, it works. They may not end up best friends, but they generally end up at least being able to be perfectly fine with each other. I certainly understand not wanting to upset your current applecart. But know it IS possible - - -plus then you have even more info on how he does inside (to pass along to someone else if you find him another home). Worst comes to worst, he can go back to outside where he was. Just a thought.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KathrynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank all of you for your very useful and encouraging advice and information. I decided to relax a bit once I realized that he only needed to be kept contained for 24 to 48 hours. I am rigging up a space for him in the basement, in the laundry room where he usually goes when he comes in the house. I hope he is patient. I have an appointment tomorrow for the surgery and will also get him vaccinated at the same time. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again, Kathryn

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's great that you're going to give him space in your house where he is already comfortable. That will be much less stressful for him than keeping him in a small trap or crate.

Don't rule out the possibility of your resident cats adjusting to his presence in your house. I have five cats in my home, 3 formerly ferals, 1 rescued outdoor cat, 1 Shelter cat. There was an adjustment period with each of them. Each time I took in a new cat, I bought new toys, got a new cat tree, spent more time playing with them all, and gave extra treats. The extra attention and spoiling all around made the transitions peaceful. I hope you will consider giving it a try. It's less stressful caring for three cats inside than caring for two cats inside and one outside. Let us know how it goes :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KathrynC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The neuter went well. It happened yesterday. He seems pretty much like his old self and had quite an appetite once he got home. I didn't mean to mislead but I do have him in a large crate in the basement. I would set him free down there but there is just too much stuff and he is a jumper. I spent a couple of hours with him last night and got up early this morning and had my morning coffee in the basement so he could have his breakfast and walk around. I just came up from an hour visit so he could stretch his legs. He seems kind of mellow in the crate, laying down as soon as I get him in there. He also used a litter box, the first time I've ever seen him do so. I think he is a really smart cat. Yesterday I showed him the box and he jumped right out. Today he got in, started digging around, urinated and covered it up. He used it two times. He sat on my lap and fell asleep after wandering around. I've decided to keep him in another day just to be on the safe side. I'm so glad this is over, I will feel much better about his time outside. Here's a photo of him taken in the basement a while ago. His name is Mr. Henry. Thanks for asking....
fullsizeoutput_6b9.jpeg

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful news. He sounds like a pussycat who would like a home and some loving. If you can't take him, do you know anyone who would? He's rather a gorgeous boy. :redheartpump:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! Thanks for helping this handsome boy. Are you going to keep him as an outdoor cat then? It would be nice if the 3 cats could meet through a gate or door to see how they react to each other. They might react better to him now that he's neutered.