Caring for a cat without a tail, or with a bobtail or short tail?

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Being 'Manxed" (see my post above) did NOT impede Blackie's activities at all. 

When I brought him home from the vet, I thought he would like to recuperate alone--but no, he became very distressed.  I had him in a closed in back porch, and he did NOT take kindly at all to being caged in anything.  When I took him to the vet, I couldn't keep him in the carrier--he tore through it--and I ended up driving him to the vet's office, wrapped in a towel, in my lap, and bleeding all over me.  When asked if this was my cat, I replied:  "he will be once I pay his bill".  Meanwhile, his broken tail and injuries were bleeding all over me and the floor.

When I got him home, Blackie became distressed, although the 'cage' was a comfortable closed-in room.  So I introduced him to Princess, a misnamed long-hair tabby male.  His story is posted elsewhere, too.  Princess was very shy and skittish, and I worried that this might not be a good match.  I needn't have worried--Blackie settled down almost immediately.  They became the best of buddies and played together almost all the time.

One time, Princess ran up to Blackie and slapped him in the face, then took off--initiating a chase.  They ended up halfway up a tall palm tree.  Princess on top and Blackie on the bottom.  We were  out in the yard watching.  Both cats looked at us, as in 'Now what???'  Princess climbed down the tree backward over Blackie, and departed the scene.

Blackie had his revenge though.  My then fiance, his best friend and I were in the back yard of my house.   In the distant back part of our yard was Princess, who had caught something.  When Princess caught anything, it was usually by accident.  So he looked at the three of us with an expression that plainly said:  "Now what do I do?"

From the east side of the yard came Blackie--through the fence--doing his best impression of a WW II Dauntless Dive-bomber on a bombing run, and he swooped up whatever Princess had caught and disappeared through the fence into the neighbor's yard on the west side of us. 

Princess sat there, dumfounded, looking around like "what happened?  What happened?  What happened?" 

And the three of us just howled with laughter.

So the moral of this story is:  your kitty is an individual just like all of us and he/she will do or act the way his/her personality is.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some of my odd-tailed kitties.

Heidi has a little corkscrew tail. Only the part of it closest to her body will move. It has two positions;

Up....

and down. She once got stuck on the roof of a single storey house for 3 days, so I'd say she's not a climber.

Jiro also has a short tail.

He's OK on wide beams but he's not the master climber his long-tailed brother Hiro is.

Hiro, Master of The Trees.

Sophie has a short, bent tail but she loves climbing.

Twinkle and her sister Carpet both have fluffy little pom-poms for tails.

Neither of them climb but I think that is more to do with personality. They're both very cuddly, snuggle kitties.

fluffymoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My notable experiences are with cats who had  full tails, but because of cruelty ended up with them amputated. Both of these cats were treated and adopted in our shelter. 

The first is Hal. He was at the shelter already when I began working there, but it was quite a while before he was adopted. Hal came to us horribly thin, with his coat spray-painted green, and his tail partially severed and mangled. Someone had attached a firecracker to this sweet, loving cats tail. After a shampoo, a successful tail amputation and lots of TLC, Hal is happy, thriving and very affectionate despite his former experiences! He was always a little weird about having his stub touched after that, but had a very even temperament. 

The second cat I saw through his entire treatment. His name was Chowder. Chowder was found as a stray, dragging his "degloved" (missing all skin and fur) tail behind him. He was either attacked by wildlife, a dog or possibly abused by a human. He underwent several months of treatment, and no matter how hard we tried we couldn't get his tail to heal. In the end it was necessary to amputate his tail. Though he'd been through a great deal of trauma, he was still a very affectionate cat that loved to be held! That darn cat wouldn't leave you alone if you tried. He was the sweetest. Even during the process of healing his tail, he didn't mind being touched near his tail. I never witnessed a lack of balance or any side affects with either of these cats after their tail amputations, however while they were recovering and healing they were kept in large cages that didn't allow them to jump. After the healing process they were put in a room with scratchers and cat trees, and I saw no difference. 

Both of these cats have found their wonderful furever homes. <3

emma512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of ours, Marley, has a hyper-mobile tail - its full length but it curls over his back. It doesn't affect him at all but he does extend it out straight when he's balancing on something. Only thing I ever wonder about is whether it affects his communication with other cats?

(side note - I took this photo when we were waiting for a new sofa to be delivered - I don't actually sleep on the floor, haha!