Care credit just frustrates me

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I got the approval and got my number and info. I was happily awaiting for my card. But I got denied so that means my digital card information won't work.

How am I suppose to get a good credit score if I can't get it?

My cat is getting a tooth or 2 pulled. Thankfully it's close to 700. But it requires me to break into my savings 😭

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have no credit or bad credit, you can get a secured credit card. This means you put down a security, let's say $500, and then they give you a card with a $500 limit. If you make all the payments on time, after a while you can convert it to a regular credit card and get your security back.

If you have some credit and your score is ok-ish but just not high enough for Care Credit, there are some credit cards out there that aren't as picky. They usually have high interest rates though, so if you can't pay it off every month it could get expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So a secured credit card if I put 500 dollars in, then in a way I pay my own self back?

If you have no credit or bad credit, you can get a secured credit card. This means you put down a security, let's say $500, and then they give you a card with a $500 limit. If you make all the payments on time, after a while you can convert it to a regular credit card and get your security back.

If you have some credit and your score is ok-ish but just not high enough for Care Credit, there are some credit cards out there that aren't as picky. They usually have high interest rates though, so if you can't pay it off every month it could get expensive.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started out rebuilding my credit after a divorce with a secured card. I got mine through Citibank but there are a lot of companies that have them. I know Capital One also issues them. I would put a few small things on it every month, things I was going to get anyway and paid it off every month. I think it was secured for 14 months. They then freed up my security deposit with interest, which at that time there was some interest added to it. They gave me a credit limit increase the same time that it switched from a secure card.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So a secured credit card if I put 500 dollars in, then in a way I pay my own self back?
Yes, basically. It's just so that they can see that you're capable of making your payments on time. After a year or so you'll have built enough credit for them to give you an actual credit card.

That's the best way for people with no credit to start building credit. Another way is to buy something on installments like from Fingerhut. But you have to be super careful to follow all the rules; they can be slightly predatory. The secured card is the safer option.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apparently I got my care credit card after all. Now I need to figure out if this actually is legit or what 🤔

Yes, basically. It's just so that they can see that you're capable of making your payments on time. After a year or so you'll have built enough credit for them to give you an actual credit card.

That's the best way for people with no credit to start building credit. Another way is to buy something on installments like from Fingerhut. But you have to be super careful to follow all the rules; they can be slightly predatory. The secured card is the safer option.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I doubt they'd give you the temp number if you weren't approved, so it probably is legit, although you could call their customer service number to make sure if you're still suspicious.

Same credit-building advice still stands though! Make sure you make all payments on time and don't overextend yourself. If you ever want to buy a house someday you'll want as high a credit score as possible.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems to not be a mistake. Chat with an agent and called. So hope they are right. It means I can build my credit

Well, I doubt they'd give you the temp number if you weren't approved, so it probably is legit, although you could call their customer service number to make sure if you're still suspicious.

Same credit-building advice still stands though! Make sure you make all payments on time and don't overextend yourself. If you ever want to buy a house someday you'll want as high a credit score as possible.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just make sure you make the payments on time and pay off the care credit in the payment timeline. Care Credit can really be a double edged sword, 0% interest if you pay if off in time and you get hit with all the interest at once if you don't. Basically delayed interest they forgive if you are within the payment terms. I typically set autopayments with it paying off at least 5 weeks before the payment terms end. That way I get the final statement showing zero to confirm it was paid off prior to the expiration of the deferred interest.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll probably pay more instead of the listed if shown. I do like to get good credit score

Just make sure you make the payments on time and pay off the care credit in the payment timeline. Care Credit can really be a double edged sword, 0% interest if you pay if off in time and you get hit with all the interest at once if you don't. Basically delayed interest they forgive if you are within the payment terms. I typically set autopayments with it paying off at least 5 weeks before the payment terms end. That way I get the final statement showing zero to confirm it was paid off prior to the expiration of the deferred interest.