Car Wreck Tonight

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The most important thing is that you're both okay... Keep in mind that the car can be repaired or replaced, you two are more important.. I've been through it, too... Anytime something like that happens I just thank God that it wasnt worse and that sounds like it could have been SOOO much worse, so you're very lucky... Keep an eye on your girlfriend since she got a pretty hard knock to the head... The rest will work itself out... The other guy's insurance will have to pay for everything because it was CLEARLY his fault and dont forget to mention the fact that he was on the phone because that will really get him in trouble!!

Thank God you're alright!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are you guys feeling today??? My 1st bad accident was the other person's fault.
Just a tip do not accept any insurance settlement until you both know you feel physically okay from the accident. Also that the car situation is resolved to your complete satisfaction. There are insurance companies that want to close claims with the least amount of money paid out. So take care and keep us all updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend asked me to thank everyone, especially the person who told her to contact the other insurance company. It looks like she is not going to have to pay the deductable now because he admitted to his insurance company he was totally at fault and they will take care of that for her. Still no word on how much damage has been done, and she kind of got pressured into keeping the car where she had it towed instead of having it moved like her own insurance company asked her too, but hopefully the place she took it is good considering its a dealership.

The accident has caused her to go get checked out at a hospital eventually due to some headaches and because of her hitting her head, and apparently she has found out she might have a small cataract starting. Perhaps it was for the best that we lost a car and found out about this now. Her thumb is swollen, bruised and possibly broken but if it is it does not show on the x-ray they took. Either way I am sure it hurts bad because it looks awful.

So over all we are both ok, the car looks like it will be paid for and we might have found some medical issues to get taken care of before they got worse. Thank you everyone for your continued support, prayers and well wishes. They mean a lot to us both and have proven to be very helpful, God bless.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update:
Apparently the insurance company wants to pay LESS then what the car is worth, OR she can have it fixed and have her title "branded" because the repair cost is around or over 9000 dollars!! There was quite a bit of panic when she could not find any "Gap" insurance in her documents that came with her car.

"Gap" insurance means that if there is an accident and the car is totaled like this and the settlement is less then what you still owe on the car, it will be covered so you do not keep paying for a car that is a pile of junk.

Thankfully, she found out she DOES have "Gap" insurance! Wooohoooo!!! So at least we are back to square one and won't have to pay for a car that will be turned into scrap metal. I was in quite a panic hearing that they wanted to pay us less then the car had owed still and she might be responsible for paying after someone smashed the crud out of our car. What a pure relief it was to hear shes got that "Gap" insurance!! *PHEW* If you ever get a car and your making payments, be SURE you get that!!

The really cool part, other then not being killed of course, is that she had just turned in a leased car early to get this other "new" (used) car that is now wrecked. The leased car still had payments on it left to be made and those were rolled into the cost of the new car. So, because of this accident and because of the "Gap" insurance covering the diffrence between settlement and total still owed, she no longer has to pay that increased monthy car payment. Assuming she finds a good deal on a new car, hopefully we can pay a bit less each month then we were before this accident.

Now apparently the only thing holding this whole thing up is the title never came to the "new" car. Apparently those take 8 weeks, so hopefully it will get here someday soon and we can get this whole mess behind us and get that sent into the proper people. I have no idea how long the rental car is covered for, but apparently its costing us 2 dollars a day because it was more then insurance wanted to pay or something. Oh well. Life is an adventure, but it sure has not helped me feel better about going out. Now when we go through intersections I tense up and if a car gets close to us I get anxious cause I think they are going to hit us. This is only the second or third good sized accident I have been in, it seems like I would be used to this by now.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you're both ok. And I'll bet any break on car payments will be a godsend (would be to me lol). However, to all the people mentioning the man being on his cell phone while driving - you have no proof of that. If I had a cell phone in my car, the first thing I'd do in an accident is locate it and use it to call 911 if needed. I'm pretty sure most of you would do the same. From what I've read, this guy made a big mistake while driving, but has owned up to it and done everything he can to make sure it's clear that he was at fault....I don't think we should spend time theorizing about why it happened, but just be thankful that everyone was ok and that the guy was mature enough to take responsibility for his own actions. I think we can all agree that responsibility is often lacking in these situations.
Again, Cirque, good to hear both you and your girlfriend are ok.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. And yes, we have absoutly no proof the guy was on his cell phone.. personally even though its against the law.. as is running a red light and smashing into someone.. I still would not wish him to get a ticket for either, reguardless. If it was me, I would be hoping for that karmic break from life myself and I can understand that life is simply life.. things happen.

Well.. we went to Enterprise Rent-A-Car and talked to their car buying people, and got a Tuarus 2003 that we bought. Ends up though that it seems to have a slipping transmission or so we thought, and it was a bit 'bouncy' when driving. We did not like the feeling of bouncing from side to side and back and forth, it just was not a smooth ride. Also paying 2 grand for a 4 year warrenty seemed a bit much after talking to some other car dealers. Well thankfully they offer a 7 day return policy, for a fee of 200 dollars, blech! *WINCE!!* But we did that and ended up getting a 2002 Toyota Camery instead, no ABS.
O well. At least the GF whos car is being replaced is content atm and thanks its a smoother ride with a little more room.. and everyone keeps telling her Toyota lasts forever with regular maintaince so if thats true then shes better off. My only concern is the knicks and dings in the body that go through the paint right to the metal or the rust spots I see forming eating their way up trough or down through the paint into the metal. Those really REALLY bother me and will be expensive as heck to fix, and knowing my GF they will end up being left to "rot" and destroy the little value the car will have now that shes bought it. And if thats what I can see with a careful inspection of just the outter shell, how much stuff do I NOT see under the hood or under the car... well needless to say it bothers me considering how much a car, even used, becomes after all the fees and warrenty and other crap they add on.

Her thumb still hurts, my back/neck still hurts, but neither is enough to keep her out of work and I don't work. So that means no insurance settlement unless its 90 days out of work, supposidly. So looking back at this whole experience.. after its all said and done, we have spent more then we would have if this accident never happened, but she ended up with a Toyota Camery instead of a Malibu whos windshield wipers would reguarly freeze up and refuse to work.. for a few dollars more each month, a bunch of headache, and a lot of wasted time and effort in finding a new car that we might not end up even being happier with, although I sure hope she is or at least never lets on if she isnt.

If anyone EVER buys a new car, GET GAP INSURANCE. It saved us 3-4,000 dollars from what the car itself was worth that insurance would pay and the difference in the financing that it cost us after it was paid off that regular insurance would not pay. Because the car was totaled we did not have to pay that "gap". If we did not have that, we would still be paying for a piece of junk that would be undriveable.. remember that.. get GAP! NEVER FORGET THE GAP!!
In a lot of states, the car people can not even make a profit and can only sell GAP insurance AT cost.. get it, its worth having!!!
Some banks/finance companies even toss it in at no cost its so good to have.

Well everyone wish us well with the Toyota Camery.. its Silver btw. And if you see us coming, get off the roads and stick to the sidewalks, you will be safer!!

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok we took back the Tuarus (Enterprise car lady was NOT friendly about it like when she was SELLING the car to us, go figure!).

We picked up the "new" used Toyota 2002 Camery (29k miles) the other day and so far all seems well. There are a couple small nicks and small spots where I can see some rust just starting like on the back quarter panels, but at least my GF is happy with her car again and thats all that really matters.

Is a lot of waxing going to slow or stop that rusting before it gets bad or would it require a full blown paint job after being sanded down and ground out to stop it in its tracks? Right now its just the tinyest pin prick of spots that you can barely feel/see, but I worry about it getting worse especially because of the weather up here and all of the salt used on the roads.

Anyone else have tips about how to prolong your cars "life" besides oil changes every 3k miles?