Car troubles. Grrrrrrrr

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where the H<E<Double toothpicks did that mechanic train?? Kelloggs?? Cracker Jacks??

That "test" is pure codswallop. Contaminated fuel is tested with a spectrometer NOT by setting it on fire. You could do a more accurate test at home by siphoning out a glass bottle full of your fuel and simply letting it set for a day. Contaminants such as water,diesel fuel,etc are HEAVIER than gas and will separate out by themselves. You will be able to see distinct separate levels. Of course any solids will settle to the bottom.

Anyone who has a 2-stroke engine such as a chainsaw,leaf blower,etc which requires you to mix gas and oil will be familiar with this. It's why you are told to shake the mixed gas before each use..the oil separates out.

Now,on the other hand,you CAN easily get contaminated fuel from your friendly gas station. This is not necessarily a careless act on their part. If their storage tanks are real low when they get a delivery it stirs up all the residue on the bottom of their tanks and some can get into your vehicle when you gas up. Every gas station has a certain amount of water,etc in the bottom of their storage tanks caused by condensation..it's unavoidable. I usually will not fill up at a station where a tanker is unloading. Early AM in the cities is also not a good time because the fuel trucks usually deliver thru the wee hours in these places to avoid traffic.

The best insurance to avoid most fuel probs is to change fuel filters on your car regularly. I generally suggest Spring and Fall. Also use a good gas treatment every few fillups. The same would apply to a diesel engine(of course you would use diesel fuel treatment).

The above comes from years of tinkering with hot cars,8 years of hauling fuels and going on 30 years of nursing big rigs thru every kind of weather conditions.

BTW..tell your "mechanic" never go to work in a truckstop/truck garage. If he told this crap to a trucker they would STILL be looking for his face!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spoke to the mechanic again. He tells me the car is ready to pick up. He continues to swear that the problems were caused by bad fuel (I checked the gas station's print-outs - no fuel problems there). I pointed out what Kittyfoot said...the mechanic hemmed and hawed and said that he would have to see if the district manager would approve having it tested since it would cost $150.

He then went on to tell me that perhaps my type of car runs with low compression ... and get this...he said "but you probably don't know what that is"
Excuse me?!! How insulting! I have a f&*#ing Ph.D.....I know what compression is!
And then he said that because of the low compression my car is probably more sensitive to debris in the fuel than other cars. Yeah, right!

Anyway....they are not going to charge me to pick up the car. He said he would be "going round and round" with his district manager over this. (Who cares....as long as I don't have to pay!)

Little does the mechanic realize that I caught him in a series of lies. Also, I called Toyota Prius mechanics all around the country and gave them the scenario and they all said that it sounded pretty impossible.

My big worry now is that they have ruined my car. I'm not sure what to do next.

Sigh......

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, if you have all the proof you can sue them. If you can't afford a lawyer then go to a low cost or free legal help. Also go to the Better Business Bureau. You can talk to other customers and see if they had any problems. I think these mechanics are proof of what some say they are. That they treat us women badly and take advantage of our little knowledge of cars. I would like to take mechanic courses so when I do have a car, go to a well-recommended mechanics, and to see what the car really needs.

frannie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling about how mechanics act towards women. I had a five speed car that I got brand new because the guy in my ski house's father owned the dealership and I got a great deal. When I took it to their shop to tell them that the gears were out of sinc, the big shot told me that nothing was wrong and that I probably didn't know who to drive a stick. BIG MISTAKE as I drove tractor trailers. Well, I called my friend's father and told him and by the time I got there to pick up my car, the big shot was fired. Also, I always had the problem after five different transmissions and get this -- after the last one was put in, my ex-husband who was a mechanic for a Dodge dealer and his friend took it in because it was still under warranty and they had already checked it out and knew the problem but because of the warranty didn't touch it. Well, that guy told my husband and his friend (mind you the dealership didn't know my ex and his friend were mechanics for another dealership) told them that they couldn't find anything wrong. Well, that's when my ex blew up and told them that they had checked out the problem and knew what it was because they were mechanics and showed them. The dealership realized that they screwed up and fixed it and I never had problems after that. Anyway, most states have lemon laws and if the problem consists 3 times or more, then you can call the bigshots and tell them that the car is a lemon and you want another one. If not, I can get you an attorney that will. Good luck.

Frannie

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darlene,

I certainly hope you didn't go into road rage with the wheelchair lady :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
because she didn't signal. When I first read your post, I was on the floor LMAO!!! Did she fall out of the chair screaming "My back, my neck, CALL MY LAWYER!!"??

One question though, were you tailgating her??? People in them things get mighty pissed when someone is on their butt.

You never cease to amaze me. If I were you, I'd stick with a scooter or better yet, roller blades.

Donna