Car traveling with aging cat with kidney issues

lorilynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been awhile since I have been here:( I am worried/stressing how I am going to drive a 16 year old cat with Kidney issues for my move across state!! I don't want to arrive with dead cat on arrival!!! What am I going to do?? 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
It certainly is stressful 

Until others chime in, here's a link to our list of tips about road tripping with cats. I hope you'll find some of these to be helpful - 

[article="30165"]36 Awesome Tips For Road Tripping With Your Cat​[/article]  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your kitty have CRF/CKD? If so, how advanced is it? I imagine the most difficult part (depending on how advanced it is, if it's CKD) would be the subqs and feeding.

Is your kitty getting subqs at this point, and how is his/her appetite? Are you having to assist feed, or is he/she eating normally?

And out of curiosity, how long a drive is "across the state"? Going across the state in Rhode Island would be a whole other ballgame than drive across the state in Montana.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorilynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry it has taken me this long to reply. I didn't get notification that there was a follow up reply on my situation or I might have missed it somehow:(( Her Kidney issue isn't too far advanced though she is drinking a lot of water. I have her on a special diet from the Vet for this problem. Since posting my dilemma, I talked to the Vet and we are going to give her intravenous fluids the morning that I leave, that should hold her for 10 to 12 hours which is exactly how long this drive is going to take. I also went ahead and bought 2 HUGE kennel cages to see which size will work to put in the back of the PT Cruiser taking the back seats out (or I'll have to rent a van for the bigger kennel cage) and maybe cover the cage, play some classical music, put a bed and small liter box in and somehow figure out how to stabilize the water for her. So what do you think thus far??? 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry it has taken me this long to reply. I didn't get notification that there was a follow up reply on my situation or I might have missed it somehow:(( Her Kidney issue isn't too far advanced though she is drinking a lot of water. I have her on a special diet from the Vet for this problem. Since posting my dilemma, I talked to the Vet and we are going to give her intravenous fluids the morning that I leave, that should hold her for 10 to 12 hours which is exactly how long this drive is going to take. I also went ahead and bought 2 HUGE kennel cages to see which size will work to put in the back of the PT Cruiser taking the back seats out (or I'll have to rent a van for the bigger kennel cage) and maybe cover the cage, play some classical music, put a bed and small liter box in and somehow figure out how to stabilize the water for her. So what do you think thus far??? 
Is she going to be on subqs going forward, or just for the trip? Just curious - hoping just for the trip at this point! She may have to pee a lot more so just might need to clean the litter box out a few times. That shouldn't be a problem though. Special food is easy enough. The stress of the trip may (or may not) cause her appetite to diminish a bit. Just try to give her a lot of love at the stops and maybe bring some other food in case she doesn't want to eat the kidney food. Better that she eats rather than eats a particular diet (that's really the big thing with kidney cats in general). Are you feeding her k/d? I think that is like kitty crack, just like a/d, but still doesn't hurt to bring other things just in case.

Will she drink from a water bottle that you can hook on the side of the kennel? My sister used to show dogs and that's what she used when traveling with them.

lorilynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the speedy reply!!! Yes, this is just for one trip, moving from California to Sedona, Arizona and yes she is on the K/D food. Oh dear, not like hearing that that food is like crack:(( what food other options do you suggest??? 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Having it be like crack is a good thing! It means they really like it usually, which is what you obviously want for cats that can have appetite issues. I would just try a small smorgasbord of other foods that you know your cat has liked in the past. Kitten Fancy Feast went over well with my kidney cat. Is it good for them, no, but you're just talking about a small amount of time here. Hopefully she'll be fine with the k/d, this is more of a back-up plan.

Also, don't be surprised if she doesn't drink very much while on the trip. The subqs sometimes are enough for them to keep from getting thirsty.

lorilynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry but I've been trying to figure out what you mean buy "subqs" ? Thanks bunches for your support, really appreciate it!!!! 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, been using the lingo so much I don't really think about it anymore :) Subqs are subcutaneous fluids; that is, given under the skin. I'm assuming that is actually what they are giving your kitty before you go on your trip when you say she's getting IV fluids. I often called it IV also (still do actually), but true intravenous fluids are generally given in a crisis situation.

Subcutaneous fluids (or subqs) on the other hand are given as part of the regular treatment in kidney disease, or are occasionally given at the vet's office when a pet is dehydrated. In this case, it sounds like it's being used more in a preventative manner if she's not getting it regularly yet.

Last edited: