Car traveling in a car - do we feed?

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're taking our cat on a two day car trip to visit my mother for Christmas. We're leaving tomorrow early a.m. and staying in a motel for one night. Our cat will be in a carrier, but there will be times when he'll be out of it. Our back seat will have his litter, and cat kennel with his favorite toys and blanket. Question - do we feed him in the a.m?

We're inclined to feed him less. He travels well in the car, but we've only been on short trips.

Lin

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He probably won't eat until you've stopped for the night, but you can always put a few morsels in the carrier with him.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought my cats on a two day trip across Europe when we were moving, I gave them a little dry food in the morning, and then not till the hotel at night. They had water in their cages available all the time as they got quite hot, even with air conditioning. I stopped every couple of hours to see they were all right.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Car within a car? This reminds me of the movie Inception...

I'd just give him half a 3oz wet food during stops, put the rest in a ziplock baggie w/ some ice, but not worry about leaving dry out for grazing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show cats - they get fed their breakfast before we leave home. And after they get to the show they get a little bit of crunchies.

Depending on the # of hours, if we stop for lunch we let the cats out in the car to stretch. Coming home, we usually stop for supper and feed them in the car when we are eating.

I would give your cat 1/2 of breakfast before you leave and the rest when you get to your destination and settled in the room.

mommyclimber

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whether you should feed your cat while traveling depends on his feeding habits. If he's used to feeding, that food is always available, you should consider making food available. The best way to decide is to consult your vet.