car is a money pit

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something sounds fishy about having to have the brake fluid changed after only a year. If it got contaminated that quickly, it could be something as silly as the cap on the master cylinder (where you add brake fluid) being loose, or it could be somewhere along the brake system there's water and/or dirt getting in. Things also go bad from a car sitting and not being used.

Did your mom have all the regular maintenance done on this car? 2001 really isn't an "old" car! Maintenance goes a long way in keeping problems at bay. With only 27k on the car, there really shouldn't be all those problems with it. I have a 27-year old Buick with 114k on it. It runs like a top.

I know this sounds silly, but never be afraid to question your mechanic. And be informed (if only a little) about how your car works. It really does help. Not all mechanics are on the up-and-up with women sometimes. It took me going through 3 mechanics once to find one that actually respected my opinion about my car.

My dad was a mechanic, and I was always around cars growing up, and I've always worked on my own cars when they needed something (so long as it wasn't something really major). My hubby is the same way. I can't mess with cars anymore because of my back, but hubby does most of our routine maintenance (oil, brakes, etc), and it saves us a lot of money. Also saves a lot of headaches from worrying about what someone else is actually doing to one of our cars!

Hope you get it all sorted out and have a long, trouble-free stretch after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

Something sounds fishy about having to have the brake fluid changed after only a year. If it got contaminated that quickly, it could be something as silly as the cap on the master cylinder (where you add brake fluid) being loose, or it could be somewhere along the brake system there's water and/or dirt getting in. Things also go bad from a car sitting and not being used.

Did your mom have all the regular maintenance done on this car? 2001 really isn't an "old" car! Maintenance goes a long way in keeping problems at bay. With only 27k on the car, there really shouldn't be all those problems with it. I have a 27-year old Buick with 114k on it. It runs like a top.

I know this sounds silly, but never be afraid to question your mechanic. And be informed (if only a little) about how your car works. It really does help. Not all mechanics are on the up-and-up with women sometimes. It took me going through 3 mechanics once to find one that actually respected my opinion about my car.

My dad was a mechanic, and I was always around cars growing up, and I've always worked on my own cars when they needed something (so long as it wasn't something really major). My hubby is the same way. I can't mess with cars anymore because of my back, but hubby does most of our routine maintenance (oil, brakes, etc), and it saves us a lot of money. Also saves a lot of headaches from worrying about what someone else is actually doing to one of our cars!

Hope you get it all sorted out and have a long, trouble-free stretch after that.
I don't disagree with you. And I do happen to know something about cars. What they told me, for instance, about the rear shocks I already knew. Well, I knew one was bad b/c the dealership had informed me of that in August. This was the local Firestone outlet. I could also tell from the way the car was riding that something was definitely wrong. The struts were a big and costly surprise. I don't know enough about that except that the handling of the car is now vastly improved... It had probably deteriorated slowly.. and I didn't notice it.

Other things, like battery and tires, well that was original equipment ( 8 yrs). I replaced the tires b/c I feared dry rot at that age. I could tell the battery wasn't cranking properly. Didn't want to get "caught" ... or have it take the alternator with it, as it did in my Honda.

Originally, mom was taking the car for regular maintenance. Then less frequently. Then, it was only when I could take it in. Then, the car became mine. She will help me with the cost, because I am her "wheels."

ladylonewolf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I don't disagree with you. And I do happen to know something about cars. What they told me, for instance, about the rear shocks I already knew. Well, I knew one was bad b/c the dealership had informed me of that in August. This was the local Firestone outlet. I could also tell from the way the car was riding that something was definitely wrong. The struts were a big and costly surprise. I don't know enough about that except that the handling of the car is now vastly improved... It had probably deteriorated slowly.. and I didn't notice it.
I'm so glad you know something about cars....I know too many people that don't and unfortunately they get yanked around by some mechanics. I really hate to see people spend their hard-earned money on either things that don't work right or weren't necessary.

As far as shocks/struts, I've had so many GM cars with bad shocks over the years, and some were so bad that I didn't even realize it until I had them replaced! I'm just wondering why they charged you so much....struts for your car should be around $60 apiece in parts for the front ones, and they shouldn't be much more for the rear ones.

Originally Posted by AddieBee

Other things, like battery and tires, well that was original equipment ( 8 yrs). I replaced the tires b/c I feared dry rot at that age. I could tell the battery wasn't cranking properly. Didn't want to get "caught" ... or have it take the alternator with it, as it did in my Honda.
Batteries are good for about 5 years, depending on where you live, and I've had cars that have sat before I bought them that needed tires (I bought a car once whose tires were so bald they all went flat in the same day). Also, sadly, have been through my share of alternators....my ex-fiance's Cavalier decided to strand us like that one day. Having to ride back from what was supposed to be a nice weekend in the flatbed truck wasn't any fun!

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get all caught up with the car and it gives you lots of trouble-free miles ahead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LadyLoneWolf

I'm so glad you know something about cars....I know too many people that don't and unfortunately they get yanked around by some mechanics. I really hate to see people spend their hard-earned money on either things that don't work right or weren't necessary.

As far as shocks/struts, I've had so many GM cars with bad shocks over the years, and some were so bad that I didn't even realize it until I had them replaced! I'm just wondering why they charged you so much....struts for your car should be around $60 apiece in parts for the front ones, and they shouldn't be much more for the rear ones.

Batteries are good for about 5 years, depending on where you live, and I've had cars that have sat before I bought them that needed tires (I bought a car once whose tires were so bald they all went flat in the same day). Also, sadly, have been through my share of alternators....my ex-fiance's Cavalier decided to strand us like that one day. Having to ride back from what was supposed to be a nice weekend in the flatbed truck wasn't any fun!

I'm crossing my fingers for you that you get all caught up with the car and it gives you lots of trouble-free miles ahead.
Well, each thing they did just added up, but the largest line item was the front end -- the bearings were also shot. I have been using this Firestone on and off for about 15 years. They are pretty fair about the mechanical things. I never felt like I was being taken for a ride - no pun intended. I haven't always gotten that impression from auto repair places. I had one place tell me the back brakes on that Buick were fine and charge me for an inspection. Well the brakes WEREN'T FINE. They weren't working. The mechanic was just lazy and didn't really check.