Can't you buy a computer WITHOUT Vista?!?!?

ethereal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are computers out there with XP, but theyre hard to find.

My SO bought a laptop with vista, he managed to overwrite it and put XP on it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

First off, never, EVER, buy a dell. It's the worst computer on the market. What you could do is go to a local computer shop and they would be able to tell you where you can get a copy of XP or you could just download a torrent of the XP operating system.
That is your own opinion about Dell. I'm sorry you have had issues with them, but my husband's company has thousands of them with no major problems.
Like any company, I am sure there will be problems, but saying that they are the worst computer on the market is a bit extreme.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could find a used computer that has it? Most places that sell new computers aren't going to have them because it's considered "old" technology, most people want vista, so they don't bother to carry xp anymore.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never had big issues with our Dell's at work. I think out of all 15 computers we only had one have an issue with it's fan, and that was it. They'd had them 3 years when I left the company. I have a Gateway and an HP here at home. The Gateway is about 4 years old and has a few issues (like not going into standby mode when told do, but it will on it's own still). The HP is about 4 years old and running great, but then it doesn't get the same use since that's DH's computer.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Is Dell really that bad?
I've known a few people who have had good luck with Dell, but it seems they were older models.

My Mom bought a computer through Dell. She had only one requirement, which she told them, which was that it played "Sims 2", and that was exactly what it did not do. When she finally talked to someone who was in this country (that took a few weeks) they said it was the wrong media card or something. They sent out a new one, and it still did not work. Ultimately, she found out that they had given her their lowest model, and it would never ever, in a million years, be able to support "Sims 2", which they knew and blatantly lied to her over and over again for about a year. Obviously, that was not the model she actually paid for. I think she ended up giving up; I'm not sure, but she did buy an HP, which does run "Sims 2".

I have an HP laptop, and we both really like them. I love my laptop.

Tricia

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have never been able to understand why folks seem to have so many problems with them.
I have Dell at home and paid about $150 more for less than what B paid for his HP. I.e. he got 512 MB of Ram, higher GHz processor, and larger HD, while I got half of that.

Additionally when I started at my last job, we were ending our ordering with Dell. Mainly because we would order the computer with certain specifications, receive it then have to return it because one of the specs were not met.

Our Dell servers were also having to have repairs done on it at least once every few months. Additionally our backup tape drive that automatically backed up everything on our servers would poop out every 4-6 months...to the point that it would have to be completely replaced.

This is in addition to doing the maintenance of updating the drivers, cleaning memory, etc. From a business perspective the laptops and servers were just not up to par.