Can't wait to try this for dinner

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw this on TV on "Everyday Italian" and I'm making it tonight: Italian Quesidillas! Fontina cheese, roasted red pepper (from a jar), and carmelized onions grilled on a flour tortilla. Mmmmmmmmm... I can't wait.
First, of course, thinly slice and grill the onions (She added a little sugar to sweeten them up).
Shred cheese and arrange on 1/2 of flour tortilla
Cover cheese with roasted red peppers
Add onion
Add more shredded cheese
Fold tortilla over
and Grill in a little oil on both sides
Keep warm in 250 degree oven until ready.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really does sound good!

Thanks for the reciepe, I think I might have to try that myself!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

it doesnt sound italian at all
My thoughts too Fwan!

I do something similar for lunches on Saturdays sometimes. I fry up onions, strips of chicken or beef, portobello mushrooms, peppers (or whatever I have in the refrigerator mostly - cooked broccoli, etc.). I spread chick pea hummus or sun dried tomato hummus or any of those types of things on the tortilla shell, put the fried onions, cooked strips of meat, mushrooms, peppers, etc. on, then grated mozarella cheese and a topping of a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I then put them on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler for a minute until the mozarella melts then serve. My husband loves them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it was good, but I was a little disapointed. I thought that the fontina cheese would be more flavorful. (Its expensive, too!) If I do it again I will use asagio. Also, I think I overfilled them because they were soggy.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

My thoughts too Fwan!

I do something similar for lunches on Saturdays sometimes. I fry up onions, strips of chicken or beef, portobello mushrooms, peppers (or whatever I have in the refrigerator mostly - cooked broccoli, etc.). I spread chick pea hummus or sun dried tomato hummus or any of those types of things on the tortilla shell, put the fried onions, cooked strips of meat, mushrooms, peppers, etc. on, then grated mozarella cheese and a topping of a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I then put them on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler for a minute until the mozarella melts then serve. My husband loves them.
I like your idea of broiling them rather than frying.

jazzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

it doesnt sound italian at all
It sounds like mexican food. My husband is half Italian so, I am kinda familiar with Italian food. Sounds yummy though, I just don't like the peppers.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazzy

It sounds like mexican food. My husband is half Italian so, I am kinda familiar with Italian food. Sounds yummy though, I just don't like the peppers.
Well, the tortilla is definately Mexican, but fontina cheese, roasted red peppers, and onions can be Italian (and are used in a lot of other cooking too). I saw it on "Everyday Italian." She does mix other cultures in pretty often.

Actually, I bet it would be great with Portabello mushrooms instead of the peppers.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby portobellos and peppers! That is my vote. I love fontina. I was trying to figure out what to make tonight- this sounds much better than my idea of chicken and veggies in the slow cooker.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a search for alternate quesadillas and found this recipe. It looks good with or without the chicken- It isn't Italian, but it looks good and involves cheese quesadillas.

Cumin-Crusted Chicken and Cheddar Quesadillas with Basil Sour Cream.

For chicken:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)

For sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ed mushrooms:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 portabello mushroom caps, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced, salt and pepper, to taste

For basil sour cream:
1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups sour cream

For quesadillas:
6 (12-inch) flour tortillas
3/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated

For chicken: In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne. Rub chicken breasts with spice mixture. Grill chicken 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from heat and thinly slice; set aside.

For sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]ed mushrooms: Heat butter in a sautÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] pan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.

For basil sour cream: Combine basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until pureed. Mix into sour cream. Set aside.

To assemble quesadillas: Pre-heat grill or griddle to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place tortillas on a flat surface. Generously sprinkle cheese onto one half of each tortilla. Combine chicken and mushrooms; divide evenly on top of the cheese. Sprinkle cheese on top of the chicken and mushroom mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Fold each tortilla in half (creating a half circle shaped quesadilla). Cook each quesadilla about 4-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and the tortilla begins to brown and crisp. Flip tortilla and repeat about 4-6 minutes. Remove quesadilla from heat and cool about 30 seconds before cutting into 3 triangle slices. Serve with basil sour cream.

jazzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ate junk foods for breakfast and lunch, that was 3 hours ago, and now I am hungry. This thread makes me hungry.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

I did a search for alternate quesadillas and found this recipe. It looks good with or without the chicken- It isn't Italian, but it looks good and involves cheese quesadillas.
You're right, that would be good without the chicken, too. I never thought of basil sour cream! Yummy!