can't keep my cat out of a houseplant

belle2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 cats in our house. Two of which are mine. I recently lost my grandfather and I have one of the plants from his funeral. So I would really like to keep this plant for him, but I can't keep the cats out of it. I think it is only one of the the three that are bothering it. She isn't digging in the soil but it looks like she is jumping in the middle of it to eat the leaves. (it is a big hosta type plant) Also, the plant is on the mantle so it is not easy for them to access it and she doesn't jump up while we are around, just at night. I also have put pictures and stuff around it so they don't have room to jump up (which is why i think it looks like she is jumping in the middle of the plant)

I have put the bitter repellent spray on it (2 different brands) but they are both very old. Could the bitterness be gone/expired from these sprays? I used to have cats growing up that we would put cayenne pepper on the soil but these cats aren't digging they are just eating. Any suggestions as to how I can keep my plant alive??

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by belle2006

We have 3 cats in our house. Two of which are mine. I recently lost my grandfather and I have one of the plants from his funeral. So I would really like to keep this plant for him, but I can't keep the cats out of it. I think it is only one of the the three that are bothering it. She isn't digging in the soil but it looks like she is jumping in the middle of it to eat the leaves. (it is a big hosta type plant) Also, the plant is on the mantle so it is not easy for them to access it and she doesn't jump up while we are around, just at night. I also have put pictures and stuff around it so they don't have room to jump up (which is why i think it looks like she is jumping in the middle of the plant)

I have put the bitter repellent spray on it (2 different brands) but they are both very old. Could the bitterness be gone/expired from these sprays? I used to have cats growing up that we would put cayenne pepper on the soil but these cats aren't digging they are just eating. Any suggestions as to how I can keep my plant alive??
You could try and put some type of netting over the plant at night. Or you could try and put a piece of clothing over it (someone told me this works
).

But I would recommend you buy a new bitter spray. I am fairly sure they can "go bad". Another suggestion is to put Tabasco sauce on the plant leaves. That sure would stop her from eating the leaves

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belle2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

You could try and put some type of netting over the plant at night. Or you could try and put a piece of clothing over it (someone told me this works
).

But I would recommend you buy a new bitter spray. I am fairly sure they can "go bad". Another suggestion is to put Tabasco sauce on the plant leaves. That sure would stop her from eating the leaves
I don't know if the plant is sturdy enough to put a clothe or clothes over it. But I guess it might be worth a try. The leaves are soft and bendable.

I might try to buy some new spray but I am not conviced that it works that well. I found a product online called Sssscat...has anyone heard of this or know anyone that has used it? It looks quite promising! It is motion sensored and makes a sound and sprays a non toxic deterent.

I am willing to try about anything to keep my plant in my grandfathers memory!

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only cat I ever had who didn't bother the house plants was my first one Patty and she was an outside / inside cat so she got all the plant exposure she wanted outside. My indoor cats would never leave plants alone so for safety and to prevent vet bills I just don't have house plants.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My only bit of advice is to try and get a definite ID of the species, as hostas are toxic to cats and dogs.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get one of those hanging plant hooks and hang it from the ceiling. Make sure you put the hook somewhere solid so it won't come out, and make sure it's not near furniture where the cats can jump to it.