Can’t keep e collar on

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat had a mast cell tumor removed today below ear. Doc gave me a crappy e collar and it won’t stay on. If too loose he pulls it over his face if too tight he kicks it untill the snaps give and it comes off. I think he’s already opened the incision slightly by fighting the collar.

At My wits end. Is it possible he won’t actually scratch the stitches out? Of course I will call tomorrow just looking for answers now. I wish they could keep him but that would be another $1,000 I’m sure.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Yes, it’s possible he won’t kick the sutures out. The pet stores make inflatable collars they are usually more tolerated, but I don’t know it that will rub the area.
You could try making a makeshift collar out of the top of a sock, but I am afraid that will just cause him to go after the area and even get a foot stuck.

Did they give you a prescription for pain medication for him?

You could try without and watch him. It seems like with the collar he will be doing more damage. Maybe without he will sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I’m so stressed out. Him kicking the thing off irritated his wound and the cheap e collar the
snaps won’t stay on now.

They gave me gaba Pentin but he told me not to start it till tomorrow. I wish I had known about this beforehand.

I will go get the inflatable one tomorrow and ask the doc if he has a better one. Why is something so minor completely devastating to me?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you got a H harness this is how my daughter managed to get her cat to keep his cone on after eye removal surgery. He could just slid out with a normal collar and even bandage tide by the vet's. He couldn't slip out of the harness. She attached the cone to the harness.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Yes, it’s possible he won’t kick the sutures out. The pet stores make inflatable collars they are usually more tolerated, but I don’t know it that will rub the area.
You could try making a makeshift collar out of the top of a sock, but I am afraid that will just cause him to go after the area and even get a foot stuck.

Did they give you a prescription for pain medication for him?

You could try without and watch him. It seems like with the collar he will be doing more damage. Maybe without he will sleep.
yeah he hasn’t messed with and I went and got an e collar that locks and a blow up donut. Will see how that works tonight.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m done. Can’t keep collar on cat even if I tie it to the harness. I glued on rubber nail covers but it won’t help. The doctor said if he rips out the sutures worse thing that will happen is there will be more area to heal but I doubt it. Cats are truly a nightmare when it comes to medical care. The last one died at 3 from urinary and this one has cancer at 7. No more when this one dies.

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear you are having trouble. My cat hates collars too and is a master of getting them off. Have you tried getting a collar with a softer feel? It also might be too loose. If you can stick 3 or more fingers in the collar, then it is usually too loose (from experience…). Just don’t choke your kitty! Hope this helps…

Edit: What about a cone? Have you tried one of those little donut cones or something from Amazon?

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry you’ve experienced such hardship with your cats. I personally can relate and have spent THOUSANDS on still undiagnosed medical issues for my cat that’s less than a year old. Sorry if I’m misinterpreting your wording but maybe it’s best to find another home for your cat. Someone out there will pay and have the time to care for them as they deserve. Do you have a hard cone? Maybe it’s not sized right?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m sorry you’ve experienced such hardship with your cats. I personally can relate and have spent THOUSANDS on still undiagnosed medical issues for my cat that’s less than a year old. Sorry if I’m misinterpreting your wording but maybe it’s best to find another home for your cat. Someone out there will pay and have the time to care for them as they deserve. Do you have a hard cone? Maybe it’s not sized right?
Emmypeps Emmypeps rehoming is not the answer in this situation and the op has not suggested it.
I think you're just feeling really fed up ander35 ander35 as it sounds like a frustrating time, especially with your past experiences.
What was the surgery? I'm wondering where the stitches are?

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emmypeps Emmypeps rehoming is not the answer in this situation and the op has not suggested it.
I think you're just feeling really fed up ander35 ander35 as it sounds like a frustrating time, especially with your past experiences.
When reading “I’m done”, I just want the best for the kitty and I know health issues can be extremely difficult and taxing on one mentally and monetarily. Again, I’ve experienced myself and in no way am I “well off” to afford the 10k +++ I’ve spent. If someone is struggling that much I think re-homing is a reasonable option and suggestion 🤷🏼‍♀️

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can fit one to two fingers but not sure how tight the harness has to be. I’m upset with the vet because I wanted to get some ace Friday to add to the gabapentin. I want to just heavily sedate him so he can’t get up.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can fit one to two fingers but not sure how tight the harness has to be. I’m upset with the vet because I wanted to get some ace Friday to add to the gabapentin. I want to just heavily sedate him so he can’t get up.
First off, I meant absolutely NO offense to my suggestion of rehoming, it sounds like you are overwhelmed and rightfully so! Can you up the dose of gaba? Does he fit to put a cone on? Maybe seek a different vet if your current one isn’t providing you with helpful tips and information

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When reading “I’m done”, I just want the best for the kitty and I know health issues can be extremely difficult and taxing on one mentally and monetarily. Again, I’ve experienced myself and in no way am I “well off” to afford the 10k +++ I’ve spent. If someone is struggling that much I think re-homing is a reasonable option and suggestion 🤷🏼‍♀️
He had a tumor behind the esr
First off, I meant absolutely NO offense to my suggestion of rehoming, it sounds like you are overwhelmed and rightfully so! Can you up the dose of gaba? Does he fit to put a cone on? Maybe seek a different vet if your current one isn’t providing you with helpful tips and information
the surgery was for a mast cell tumor behind the ear.

He rips off the cone. I then tried it with a body harness, tying the cone to the harness. That helps but it pulls at the harness a bit and seems to drive him nuts. He even got out of that so now I tied the harness on better to the collar and re did the harness to ensure it’s on correctly.

it’s just a tough situation. He goes berserk with it on and or he doesn’t have it on and henwill scratch at the wound.
Am I crazy for being this upset? I react to things in such an extreme way. Maybe I am. I will be the first to admit there is something wrong with me . I have been diagnosed ptsd, alcoholic, depression etc.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The thing is
So sorry to hear you are having trouble. My cat hates collars too and is a master of getting them off. Have you tried getting a collar with a softer feel? It also might be too loose. If you can stick 3 or more fingers in the collar, then it is usually too loose (from experience…). Just don’t choke your kitty! Hope this helps…

Edit: What about a cone? Have you tried one of those little donut cones or something from Amazon?
I have it on now and tied to the harness. But I can only fit one finger in and it’s a bit snug. But I am at the last rung. Maybe I should try the next size cone I bought one in the next size just in case.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, try the next size.. it's worth a go.
And it' is stressful, especially if you have issues that make it more difficult for you to cope. :hugs:
Post here and we'll do what we can to help.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That helped going up in size. He now has room his whole face isn’t cramped by the tiny cone. But he will be able to kick it off so I’ll try and tie it around on the bottom as well as on the top to the harness.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Good luck, and let us know how you're going.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyways he ripped it off even with the harness and e collar and me sitting with him for 5 hours trying to comfort him with it.

it cannot be done.

the doctor says if he pulls the stitches out at worse he will have more area to heal and not to freak out so I will just go with that. I literally tried everything I could.

ander35

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck, and let us know how you're going.
Anyways he ripped off the cone even with the harness and e collar and me sitting with him for hours comforting him with it last night and tonight. I can’t do anything else. I’ve bought 4 cones two harnesses and tried this 6 times. I will make sure the rubber nail covers are all still attached but that’s all I can do.

The doctor did say if he pulls the stitches out at worse he will have more area to heal and not to freak out so I will just go with that.