Cant get my new 8 week old kitten to use the litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scriles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I have great news. Last night she pooped in her litter box finally.. She pooped In the box last night again when we were sleeping as well. She's still not peeing in it but we'll work on that. She was so proud today, and I praised and gave her a treat right away both times.. I'll let u know how it continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scriles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I have another litterbox with a lid and thats the one I eventually want her to use in my den, But we'll cross that once she's comfortable. I've introduced her to the area a few times, but there's no litter in it as of right now. I'll eventually move the bathroom litterbox to that area first, but for now she's just to young to roam the house at night when we sleep so we've been keeping her in the bathroom

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!  She's probably thinking, "This huge kitty is crazy!  All I have to do it do my buisness in the funny sand and I get treats?  She's easy.  Who knew... I wonder what happens if I do both my businesses in it?"

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   Well Ive read that 8 weeks is not too young too adopt.
Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation around, 8 weeks is far too young but what's done is done.

Is the kitten free roaming the house? The easiest way to litter train is restrict how much space they have. Keep the kitten in one room with several litter trays available.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just added a pizza pan with litter on the other side of the toilet where her other litter box is.  I'm hoping that maybe this will encourage her to use the lower one since its in the area where shes only been going to the bathroom.  Ill keep you posted.  Also the litter I have now has a sort of mint smell to is and its fine like sand.  Do cats have a preffered scent or are all cats different? 
Cats have an extremely sensitive sense of smell. I'd find a litter that is fragrance free.

Well I have great news. Last night she pooped in her litter box finally.. She pooped In the box last night again when we were sleeping as well. She's still not peeing in it but we'll work on that. She was so proud today, and I praised and gave her a treat right away both times.. I'll let u know how it continues.
Hurray! :banana1: :banana1:

Well Ive read that 8 weeks is not too young too adopt.  There's no guarantees that the mother will even be a good teacher with domesticated cats.  We do not scold her or send negative vibes at all.  All we do is praise her.  I tried disposable aluminum pizza pans, but she was still not too comfortable with them.   Should I be putting her in it, and holding her in it, because a girl at the pet store told me to do that but it seems like that will just scare her from ever going into it and scar her and feel shes being punished.  Shes not having accidents anywhere though.  She went twice in her bed, which was my fault for putting it back out for her to go a second time in it, and I have newspapers all around my toilet where the litter box is in the bathroom, and shes going on the newspapers.  Shes actually a really smart, and problem free kitten, its just the fact that shes afraid of her litter box.  Maybe Ill go about what we've been doing and maybe Ill get luck, but if not in a couple days Ill order that Kitten attract litter.  Could I also instead just buy some katnip and sprinkle some of that int the mixture?

You're instincts are correct, you should NOT hold her in or force her, that may very well cause a permanent phobia to the litter box.

I think this kitten was not very well treated where she came from. It's possible the litter boxes were filthy, or there were too many cats and other cats chased her away from them, or she never saw a litter box before. It's also highly likely that she is even younger than 8 weeks. 8 weeks IS too young to leave her mama, in most cases but most kittens know how to use a litter box before 8 weeks.

I think she is going to do just fine with your loving care and patience. You will have to teach her many things she would have learned by being with her mama and litter mates.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I have newspapers all around my toilet where the litter box is in the bathroom, and shes going on the newspapers
I actually had to use shredded newspapers for a while with one kitten I had.  I had to change the paper every day, but it got her to finally use the box.  I then put plain litter under the newspaper, and she got used to litter.  Eventually, she was comfortable with just litter.

sunnymaurie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so I just had to write everyone and thank you for your insight. We received a kitty to young last night. Knowing we can end up with behavioral problems I have been soaking up all the info I can to help her. I read on here to use dirt in her litter box if she won't pee. She had 4 bms but no pee :( She came from a farm and was always outside. So finally this evening I mixed some cat litter with dirt and she immediately went!!!!!! :clap: she is 6 or 7 weeks old and is adapting quite well outside off peeing in her liter box. We have been giving her kitty formula milk too and she loves it.

Thanks for all the info :) :) :):wavey:

whiskeygirl40

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having the exact same problem with my 6 month old female kitten. We got her from a woman when she was 8 weeks old. She has always had this problem and NEVER used a litter box. She is a maine coon who was never itter trained. Excellent kitten otherwise. She freaks when you even put her close to a litter box. I've tried different boxxes, different litter, etc. Nothing helps and she doesn't seem to act as if its "wrong" to not use the box. LOL!! She DOES however enjoy sitting on the toilet, in the sinks and even will lay down in our tub. I've heard of Toilet training cats. I tried putting a box beside the toilet just a few minutes ago, since she will even get on my lap or try to get behind me while I'm sitting on the toilet!! She clawed the crap out of me before I could even get her into the box. And then she walked over on to the toilet and sat there looking at me.. So I took her paws and scratched at the seat and she seemed intrigued by it. So toilet training her is the next thing I'm going to attempt. I wanted to let you know about this hoping your little one might be intrigued by the toilet too.. There are sites to go to and videos to buy. But I've read putting a box beside the toilet and getting them to go is the first step.  I'll try to keep you updated as to how she does with it and what helps and doesn't help. I wish you luck my dear!!

whiskeygirl40

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you thought of toilet training her? I have your cats twin! Seriously!! Same exact problems, tried everything you have... She loves the toilet and being in sinks and the bath tub.. So I've just tried wiping her paw on the seat. She has been sitting there for about twenty minutes now. I'm going to check on her.. wish me luck!

mumofsassy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an eight week old kitten I needed to litter train and this is what I did to get her to use the litter box.  When she was done eating or woke up the first thing I did was pick her up and put her in the litter box.  Usually a cat will need to go after they sleep or eat.  Then I   also watched her carefully to see if she was trying to find a place to use the restroom.  As soon as she looked like she was going to squat I hurried over to her picked her up and put her in the litter box.  It took my kitten three days of doing this before she got the point this is where you go potty.  I also found it helpful to take a piece of her feces off the floor and put it in the litter box so it had her scent in it.  I then proceeded to make sure any where she used the restroom that was not ok I cleaned it really thoroughly to take her scent off of it so she wouldn't be attempted to go there again.  I know some cats will catch on to the training while others you will have to put in the litter box   ten or more times a day.  GOOD LUCK with you new friend.

helen d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I get a kitten thats too small to already know.. I take a long clothes basket flip it over pad the floor to make it soft for the baby.. I use a throw away pie pan with litter in it & put its food & water in.. I do that for 3 or 4 nights until I have noticed its using the pan.. I let it out through the day to play.. If it starts mewing loudly you best get it to the litter pan.. A little work with them & they catch on quick.. Good Luck with your new addition :) 

matandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem but my kitten was also born in my house, but my dad came up with this awsome idea to lure her in to the kittybox with toys once inside she started smelling aroud and the next day she pooped there :)