Can't get cats to get along

nachoandsoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat Nacho is almost 3 years old and I adopted a female kitten a little less than 2 months ago. I have kept them separated, I do site swapping, I have put items that smell like one another near their food bowls and I have tried to let them play together for short amounts of time ending the play session on a good note but I still can't get them to live peacefully together!

The kitten scratches a lot and even though I regularly clip her nails she panics every time the resident cat tries to "dominate" her. She hasn't been spayed yet but that is coming up when she hits the 6 months mark. They constantly chase each other and NOTHING distracts them. What should I do?! It's been almost 2 months, it's very difficult to keep them in separate rooms and it isn't fair to either one of them to be limited in their home. They don't relax around one another, it's just chaos. I need help!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2 months is NOTHING when it comes to introductions. Take a deep breath, accept and make peace with the fact that they have to be separated for now, and follow the introduction steps at their pace. Cats don't follow a timetable ;)

Remember that interactive play is really important for both cats - especially the kitten. So long as they both get plenty of playtime and cuddle time with you, restricted space for a few months really isn't a big deal. Hang in there :vibes: [article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22328"][/article][article="22426"][/article][article="22537"][/article]

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just to make sure, Nacho is neutered, right? 

If she goes into heat it could make things more tense, so I would look into spaying her sooner rather than later. It's best to spay females prior to their first heat cycle, so waiting till the six months mark could be a bit late.

Do read the links @Columbine  offered. One of the things to keep in mind is that cats pick up on our stress, so it's crucial for you to relax and accept things. It's ok if they are hostile to each other. When that happens, just stay calm and let them be. If you react in ways that infuse the situation with more stress, you could inadvertently be sabotaging the process. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nachoandsoma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the advice. Nacho is neutered and I will definitely keep in mind that she needs to be spayed soon. You are completely right in saying that there's no time table, it's easy to forget that especially if you do too many Google searches! Haha I will keep calm, create a stress-free environment and give them the time they need!