Can't find what is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new here so thought I'd post incase anyone has any insight into what might be going on.

I have a ragdoll cat, 11yrs old and he has been sick 2 times on 2 days before I went to the vet. He is also not eating or drinking but has had a wee on the litter tray before the vet visit but no poo, probably with not eating. He also hides away in the corner of the room or in a place out of the way, he is an indoor cat so never gets outside.

I took him to the vet and explained everything, I said I thought it might have been a hairball stuck or something as he does bring them up quite a bit. I told her the sick he has been bringing up is like yellow colour with froth. She had a slow feel along his tummy and said she couldn't feel anything obvious there. Took his temperature that was ok and his weight was 6.8kg. So she said he may have picked up a bug, gave him an injections in his neck and said see how he goes and call by the next morning if he has not eaten or drank any water.

Well the next day comes and he has not eaten anything or drank water but hasn't been sick at least. Went to vet again and did blood tests, 6hrs later they called to say the blood tests was pretty boring really, they were all normal readings and couldn't see any problems there. He was on IV drip for that day and was told the same, go home see how he does and call again in morning if not eaten or drank water.

I call them again next morning and they said bring him in and we will do a ultrasound of his tummy. They said later in the day when I went to pick him up that the ultrasound did not show any signs of mass or tumours and could not see anything obvious there. I said could it be something in his mouth or his teeth/gums? She said no we've checked and he has good teeth for his age, couldn't see anything wrong there. She said I'm struggling with this one, I just can't seem to find out what is wrong here. I said what else can be done to find out what the problem is? A full body x ray she said would be the next step forward. He has been on IV again on that day so 2 days he had and was told to go home see how he does again.

It is the morning I am writing this, when we got back from the vet last night he was panting heavy and meowing like crazy, I assumed it was the stress, he did not like being at the vet that's what she told me also. I put the fan on just incase he was overheating, he was like that for about an hour and half until he settled a bit. This morning he has nibbled at a piece of chicken and ate 2 small biscuits along with small portion of yogurt constancy treat. He still has not eaten a meal or drank any water but has had a wee on the litter tray. He has been crying at me and looking at me as if to say help, I hate the feeling because I get emotional not being able to help him or know what is wrong.

So this is where I am at now, not knowing what is wrong but tests coming back ok. Next step is x ray but the costs are rising and I struggle financially as it is. I'm juggled things around just to pay for things so far but getting test after test may not be possible for me. I still have a feeling it may be his mouth or throat maybe somewhere but I don't know. Has anyone else has this problem or may know something from what I describe here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a mystery if the vet had found nothing. Is he still hiding? He must be hungry and needs to eat. Try a pate or mousse and add a little water to it, feed him by hand. Stage two baby food with no additives if you can get it, small pieces of chicken, tuna, basically anything you can get him to eat just to kick start his appetite again. I'm sure others will respond with ideas too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danny84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just took him back to the vet, they are doing a x ray and another ultrasound to see if anything was missed. They are good vets in my area so yes it is quite the mystery.

He has nibbled on a bit of chicken and 2 small pieces of kibble that's it. I'm hoping something shows on the scans today and hopefully treatable. I have no idea which direction to go if scans show nothing though, it could be anything really I guess. I suggested feeding with syringe but the vet wanted to wait and see if he would eat on his own but I might have to do that tonight if he doesn't eat anything.

Thanks for reply

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its such a worry. Syringe feeding may upset her so if you can get him to eat another way that would be better.
I hope they solve this today for you, keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danny84

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The scan showed what looked to be gas in distention so they opened him up to have a look. They found a blockage which was hair but it was on a tight bend of intestine somewhere. Unfortunately they also said when they pulled it out there is a tumour growing on side wall which is hard to operate on and if they did he would be left with a bag on him.

I took the option to ease his suffering and put him to sleep, I am so upset right now and he will be sadly missed. This is socks, will miss you.

20180122_153831.jpg

Thanks for your help.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful cat. I am so sorry this has happened, I know you must be devastated right now but you did the right thing for Socks, its such a selfless thing to do but no-one wants the pets they love to suffer. Remember the joy he brought you and the love you gave him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is a beautiful boy and I am very sorry that it came to this. If you had proceeded with the tumor removal and he needed a bag, which is almost untenable in an animal, he would have continued on in misery; you spared him that by making the decision you did.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat passes on, we close the thread out of respect. You are welcome to post a tribute to your Ragdoll boy in our Crossing the Bridge forum. Once again, we are very sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.