Can't believe I'm asking...cremation?

epresco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to have your cat cremated? We will have to put our beloved Kitty down soon and I can't stand the thought of leaving her here. We are only in this state temporarily, and we don't like it at all. I'd really like to have some way to take Kitty with us.

Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Elizabeth

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very sad that you have to lose your kitty but yes, any vet can arrange cremation for you. There are usually two prices, one for a general cremation with other animals and one, a bit more expensive, for an individual process, which means you are guaranteed your own animal's ashes back. I had this done for one of my cats when I had no garden to bury him in, and I mixed the ashes with earth and put them in a pot with a little juniper tree growing above them, as his name was Juniper. Then when I moved, I was able to take the tree.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes if you go to www.meowhoo.com and look under Grief Management you will find many websites with caring people who will help you when the time comes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epresco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks Jenny. She's very young - only 9. But today the vet told us that he is 95% certain that she has cancer. She's gotten very sick (she's lost 2.25 pounds in only 8 weeks) and we just have to decide when to put her to sleep. I feel so much better knowing I can take her with me.

Thanks.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very sad.

The weight loss makes it sound serious, but cancer can be treatable if it's not too far gone (like humans, I guess).

My thoughts are with you all.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also opt to bring her body home for burial on your property on in a pet cemetary.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, we had to have our cat put to sleep while our house was up for sale, and we had her cremated so she could come along with us. In my case, I called the mortuary right before we brought her in, and they told us to alert the vet and to make sure I told them private cremation. The vet and the mortuary handled it from there. We could have either had her remains sent to us or the vet, or pick her up at the mortuary. We chose to pick her up. It's smart of you to think about this beforehand. Good Luck to you and your kitty, and I hope this information won't be necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epresco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. As for treatment, the vet basically told us that at this point even if they could find a single mass, it has probably spread and the prognosis would still be grim. He said that if it was his cat, he would not opt for surgery. He also said that with the steroids, we might be able to get out a week or so.

All in all, it's not looking good. And she is so sick. She just sat there at the vet, not putting up any fight while he palpated all around her. She just has so little left...

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I am so sorry to hear this - I know last year when I had a cat with cancer, the vet advised not putting her through any surgery for her sake - she was a lot older though with obvious lumps. I think it is good that you are thinking now what you would like to do when that time comes, it is better than getting asked afterwards when you are grief stricken.

moochiebelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty.

When my Belle passed, I had her cremated individually and bought a lovely urn to hold her remains:

It looks more like a statue than an urn, and it sits atop the mantle of my fireplace.

The individual cremation was a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion. My Bellie will aways be with me.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty, and I know what a tough decision you're making. (((big hugs))) to you.
It's such a good thing that you're thinking about her future resting place. We lost my beloved Tucker when we were living in another city & renting out the house we owned in our hometown. I felt really strange about asking the renters if we could bury Tucker in our yard; instead, we drove home & buried him in my Mom's garden. It's been 20 years, and I still wish we'd brought him back to our own garden.