Canned pumpkin

suellen belcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet said to use a teaspoon a day ofp ure pumpkin and I use the organic pet food pumpkin found at Sprouts and freeze a teaspoon size on wax paper/cookie sheet and transfer the froze pieces to a zip lock bag. Takes about 20 min to defrost or can use microwaveit inor o

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet told me to give 1 tsp a day and then increase to as much as 3tbsp, making sure that it doesn't make the cat constipated. I give one of my cats a tsp a day mixed with his wet food when he has diarrhea and it works amazingly, but if I give him more than a couple teaspoons it ends up making him constipated instead. My other cat does well on about 1tbsp a day for hairballs, so it really just depends on the cat!

vickiefromca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been fostering feral kittens to get them ready for adoption. Almost all of them have fleas and because of the fleas, have worms. The worms often cause them to have diarrhea, especially once they stop nursing and start eating cat food. Sometimes they are too young or small to treat with medication for the fleas and worm so I use canned, pure pumpkin mixed with their dry and wet food, a tsp per serving, up to 3 times a day. I use Trader Joes organic
canned pumpkin, which only contains pure pumpkin, but any brand will do as long as there are no other added ingredients except water. As a lot of people have suggested, scoop it out with a Tablespoon size measuring spoon onto a waxed paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, place them in a ziplock bag and store in freezer, removing one at a time as needed. These kittens are often mal nourished and under weight and the first step to getting them healthy is to regulate their bowels so they can start gaining weight and the pumpkin really helps with that. It usually takes about 3-5 days for the stools to firm up once they start eating the pumpkin infused food.

healthypooh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's so easy, and warms your kitchen too!  Throw a couple, (or several for a several months supply), butternut or other Winter squash into the oven (stab a few holes in first to prevent exploding squash bombs.  

When soft, let cool, peel off the skin, scrape out the seeds (you can roast those for a few minutes to crisp them up afterwards) and just throw the "meaty" part, strings and all, into the food processor and it becomes the silkiest thing you've ever seen. No other ingredients needed!

Then I just put into little take-out 1 ounce sauce cups or you can freeze on tablespoon size dollops onto wax paper.  When frozen,  put into an airtight container or zipper bag.  Freeze and pull out throughout the year as needed.  You can bake several squash at once like I did and It was so tasty I had to reserve some for us to eat tonight at dinner too!

Happy Thanksgiving a bit late from Pooh and I!

sugargliderbaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please be aware that anything cooked in a microwave oven kills all nutrients in the food. You might try putting the pumpkin in the fridge from the freezer and let it thaw by itself.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

BIT3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new to this site and found the posts very helpful.
I use 1/2 teaspoon of organic pumpkin to mix with dasuquin for one of our cats. The other two begged for some too. I give them 1/2 teaspoon each so no one feels left out.

whatever

"Lucky"
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what I would do without Cat Site! My Phoebe who I recently took from years at shelters seems to have beginning stage kidney disease via her labs. This past few days her appetite has been not so good so I've been playing with that and consequently, she is having dry raisins for poop and now nothing for a day or two. I am going out and get some pumpkin. She completely stopped eating the little tiny bit of pate I give her twice a day. Refused pretty much her k/d diet so I just decided to give her dry Purina One and she is at least eating that pretty well. But no poops now. Poor girl! Hate to traumatize her more as she's been shunted around and is just loving, trusting me and settling in. But I think it's important that I have to get her an appointment. :( But again, so happy for this site and all the wonderful friends I have here.............thanks all! whatever