Canned food

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats one can of Fancy Feast canned in the morning. I have 4 nuetered boys, so they each get a quarter of the can. They get free choice of Natural Balance dry.
So, my question is, are they really benefiting from the small amount of canned, or can I eliminate it and do a better quality dry?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The worst wet( I say say that toungue in cheek) is better than the best dry...

IMHO ... I would rather you feed a slightly lower dry with more wet...

I have found decent wets( ie yes to by products but no to excessive grain, food colorings and artificial stuff) at a number of grocery stores... I spend roughly half as much on them as FF per oz...

Yes that amount of wet will help as the American Vet association has recommended 1oz per day for well over a decade for moisture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried feeding more wet, but they end up with loose stools, and big messes for me.

So, what kind of dry, and canned would you recommend?
I was thinking of switching the to Natural Balance canned, its the best available here, and I really don't want to order anything if I can help it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed one meal of dry and one meal of canned each day (I give mine 1/4 to 1/3 of a can - 6 oz size) per meal. They also get raw a few times a week.

IMO the FF is not that great; give them higher quality canned food each day.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We feed one meal of dry and one meal of canned each day (I give mine 1/4 to 1/3 of a can - 6 oz size) per meal. They also get raw a few times a week.

IMO the FF is not that great; give them higher quality canned food each day.
I bought some Natural Balance, and will be switching them to that.
With my work schedule its hard to feed meals.

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When Chester gets his wet it can vary as to when but he only gets about 3-6 oz. a day. That is all he wants and needs. Adjust to your cats needs. If he is doing well on your feeding regimen then stick with it. Chester eats some Nutro (Max Cat and Natural Choice) canned products, he tends to like the chunks with sauce/gravy varieties. Then he gets the dry from Nutro as well. He has always done well with it. He has been on it since he was 9 months old and he is now 11 1/2 years old. He is a little chubby but otherwise a healthy boy.

I hope you figure out what works best.

alias

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you considered switching to raw? My cat has a chronic bowel condition and most foods we tried him on he suffered diarrhea, but when we switched him to exclusively raw several months ago he has significantly improved. Cat's are not natural drinkers and get most of their moisture from food and they have to drink lot's to compensate for the dry, hence why wet is recommended.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alias

Have you considered switching to raw? My cat has a chronic bowel condition and most foods we tried him on he suffered diarrhea, but when we switched him to exclusively raw several months ago he has significantly improved. Cat's are not natural drinkers and get most of their moisture from food and they have to drink lot's to compensate for the dry, hence why wet is recommended.
Just a FYI - We have a raw forum on this site that folks if interested can look at and ask questions... Lets try to answer the posters Actual questions

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NutroLori

When Chester gets his wet it can vary as to when but he only gets about 3-6 oz. a day. That is all he wants and needs. Adjust to your cats needs. If he is doing well on your feeding regimen then stick with it. Chester eats some Nutro (Max Cat and Natural Choice) canned products, he tends to like the chunks with sauce/gravy varieties. Then he gets the dry from Nutro as well. He has always done well with it. He has been on it since he was 9 months old and he is now 11 1/2 years old. He is a little chubby but otherwise a healthy boy.

I hope you figure out what works best.
Thanks, your right if it ain't broke don't fix it! LOL So I may as well keep feeding them like I am.