Canned food without Carrageenan or Guar Gum?

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've already done extensive time-consuming research so I can say whatever needs saying. I doubt your searching is or will ever be as focused, 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already done extensive time-consuming research so I can say whatever needs saying. I doubt your searching is or will ever be as focused, 
And you did that research to establish to your own satisfaction that the information is accurate. Surely you can understand how others would want to do the same?

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a difference in finding new info and trying to prove it wrong to make a preconceived point as well as making light of other's researching before even starting ones own.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a difference in finding new info and trying to prove it wrong to make a preconceived point as well as making light of other's researching before even starting ones own.
I completely agree. Fortunately no one in this thread has done that. What there has been is multiple opinions expressed that don't always agree. That is the nature of a forum such as this. When someone prefers to not have their opinions challenged or contradicted a better outlet is a blog.

Last edited:

trufans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Received the new First Mate salmon food in the mail yesterday. The boys Love it! I (they) will be trying the turkey flavor soon, hopefully its a hit also.

trufans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The First Mate turkey is a HUGE hit with the boys also!

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YEA!!!! Have a case  of FM being delivered soon here too. :) Thanks for the good news!

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad the FM is a success! Switching back to it here this week.

faith h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have a look at at Weruva TRULUXE products. Non-grain, non-gluten and non carrageenan.

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Have a look at at Weruva TRULUXE products. Non-grain, non-gluten and non carrageenan.
Too bad they have in ALL these - at least one gum and sometimes three different ones - plus one has "broth" of unknown recipe ingredients too.  Better than some but I'll pass. 

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Too bad they have in ALL these - at least one gum and sometimes three different ones - plus one has "broth" of unknown recipe ingredients too.  Better than some but I'll pass. 
Read this y'all     note the info on guar gum, etc.                         http://agriculturesociety.com/tag/neurotoxin/                The weruva label is not only misleading stating 'no gluten' it is an outright lie. Typical pet food company I'm afraid.

kjnolan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't looked at the others yet but the first cat food I looked for was natures variety. I looked at the ingredient list. We are saying not to feed our cats food with carrageenan. CARRAGEENAN COMES FROM SEAWEED. are the company's getting trickier???? Natures Variety does not list carrageenan as an ingredient. Wonderful...right? But it lists dried kelp farther down the list. DRIED KELP IS SEAWEED. SEAWEED HAS CARRAGEENAN IN IT. WHICH MEANS NATURES VARIETY HAS CARRAGEENAN IN IT DISGUISED AS DRIED KELP!! Does anyone else have a problem with this deceitfulness????!!
Now I need to check the others that don't list carrageenan and see if they have dried kelp in them. Uggghh!!

Add Natures Logic to that list. Again. Dried kelp.
Natures Variety

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting this info! As a matter of fact, I had found that cats should never have kelp anyway! :( So much unnecessary stuff is being added to our pet's foods - apparently the specific food additives have a great bunch of lobbyists getting misinfo to the manufactures - and/or the manufactures really "don't give a fig"...   Here's the Never Feed These Foods To Cats" list:        http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/5-human-foods-cats-can-eat/  and this doesn't even get into the toxins/neurotoxins or excitotoxins! [if it is bad for humans - just think how bad it is for a cat ... check out these toxins in human articles then transpose the info because no one is confronting the pet food industry directly. It is up to us as caregivers.] Dr. Blaylock IIRC - the neurosurgeon - has excellent info via books and youtube video lectures.

Thanks again for sharing the kelp hidden ingredient find.

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if my post shows up to you or the OP, but I wanted to thank you! So just in case, please see that post.  

opie catt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been wanting to contact you! This food KILLED 5 of my cats - including my precious kitten that would have turned 3 mo old the next day. The whole case was filled with botulism - they did not recall it but instead put on a new label!!  Had fed half the case before finding the cans were expanded ... amazon replaced the case with the same batch just as the 5 cats died. Stopped using it, but too late!  Continued feeding their dry food - which unbelievably was recalled after they died as well.... Halo sensitive turkey.... had fed them this for an entire year, including dozens of the recalled batch!  Lastly, I had just purchased for the first time a week ago a bag of treats by Blue Buffalo - and guess what ? It was recalled on 11/6/15...most didn't want them, but some ate them. :( When does this end??? I've bought new products - hurriedly because everything i had was deadly! - will get that info if you'd like to know how it goes from here. The way things are going, I expect they will be recalled before long as well. :(   

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard back from Natural Planet Organics re: the scheduled removal of the carrageenan from their canned food / cat (and dog). Only the chicken / cat has a scheduled date, the turkey formula is still pending. I asked the rep to please let me know when the scheduled date for the removal of carrageenan for the turkey formula will be:

Here is what I have so far, the chicken cat food will be 01-29-16, see below, the new label should reflect this change.

The changes to the NP dog and cat formulas reflecting the removal of carrageenan will be implemented on the next production run.  

NP Chicken Dog 12/13oz
2/5/2016​
NP Turkey Dog 12/13oz
2/5/2016​
NP Chicken Cat 12/5oz
1/29/2016​
NP Turkey Cat 12/5oz
Not scheduled ​

Chicken Dinner

Organic Chicken, Organic Chicken Broth, Organic Chicken Liver, Organic Flaxseed Oil (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids), Organic Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 fatty acids), Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement), Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Sea Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate), Tricalcium Phosphate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (an organic compound of Iodine), Sodium Selenite.

Turkey Dinner

Organic Turkey, Organic Turkey Liver, Organic Turkey Broth, Organic Flaxseed Oil (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids), Organic Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 fatty acids), Calcium Carbonate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement), Carrageenan, Choline Chloride, Sea Salt, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate), Tricalcium Phosphate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (an organic compound of Iodine), Sodium Selenite.

Last edited:

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi there,

I know I am late in the game to this discussion - having just found it today - but on the blue buffalo site, all their products seem to have either carrageenan or guar gum. :(

http://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-...healthy-gourmet-meaty-morsels-chicken-entree/
Yep, that's the least of their problems. I would NEVER trust Blue Buffalo or any other Purina company. If you don't know about the fiasco surrounding Purina (They're BB's parent company), please google it.
Here's an article to get you started:  https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-ingredients-class-action-lawsuit-settlement/ 

Last edited:

trufans

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Browsing through the varieties on chewy this morning as I like to change it up to keep a variety for the boys and came across Spring Naturals Grain-Free 95% Chicken & Liver Dinner with a Medley of Garden Greens & Berries. Seems like a decent food?

I think I will give this a try since it has no carrageenan or gums.

The one ingredient that I am not sure on though is the agar agar, it seems some opinions are it's almost the same as carrageenan? 

Hopefully it's ok to post a link to the spring naturals website...

http://www.springnaturals.com/blog/post/spring-naturals-goes-carrageenan-and-guar-gum-free-/

http://www.springnaturals.com/products/grain_free_cats/canned_dinners/chicken-and-liver-cat-food/20/

Last edited: