canned food suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you.

i get 12 13 oz cans of evo from my vet for ~$25 so i think that is a good price. i just have to make sure that they eat it.

can i hold out a little for them to eat more if they are eating the evo, just not as much as i would like? do you think that will be ok?

i looked into california naturals as well, since they are made by the same company as evo and i can also get that from my vet, but it is too low in calories. they would have to eat more than a 13 oz can a day in order to get the calories they need. i can't afford to feed them that much, and i honestly don't think that they will eat more than a 13 oz can between them.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry - you did mention those calorie requirements in your first post.

As for your other question, you might want to ask your vet just in case. I'm guessing it's normal for cats to have an adjustment period when transitioning to a new food, but the vet can tell you when to start worrying (it sounds as if the weight of at least one of your cats is a concern to you).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, the weight of frodo is a concern because he has to lose it, but the weight of blue is a concern too since i don't want her to lose! i already got the numbers from my vet for the number of calories each cat needs to lose/maintain.

i am going to keep offering the evo and hope that they start to eat it. i don't know what i am going to do if they decide that they don't want it. i can't afford to pay $40 for 12 days of food! if they don't start eating a good amount in a few days i will ask my vet what she thinks.

thank you

mycherona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding Kitty EVO cat and kitten (chicken & turkey) formula since I got him. He has never had dry food (because of the link between dry food and urinary blockages in boy kitties), and will never have dry food. I have given him newman's own in the past, and a couple other health food store brands, but the EVO has the most protein, which seems to really make a difference in how often he gets hungry. On lower protein foods, he needs to eat a lot more to feel full, and thus, bugs me more often for food. So in the end, it's cheaper to go with a higher protein food, since it keeps them feeling fuller for longer. And, cats in the wild are used to a very high protein diet, so they will feel the best on a canned food which mimics their natural diet as closely as possible.

I'd also like to note that Kitty has exceptionally good health (which has a lot to do with his diet). He is almost two years old, and has been in perfect health since I got him (knock on wood!). And, he has only ever had 2 hairballs.

So that's my 2 cents about food!