Canned food increases the risk of Hyperthyroidism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

To this I can only say, what utter nonsense.

However, from the same source
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

Hyperthyroid cats were 6.6 times more likely (95% CI=1.8-23.9) to be reported to sleep predominantly on the floor than control cats. Cats whose bedding was regularly treated with anti-flea products appeared to be at a considerably higher risk for hyperthyroidism (OR=57.6; 95% CI=3.8-->200); and, to a lesser extent, so were cats living in households where fly sprays were reported to be used regularly (OR=3.3; 95% CI=1.2-9.3). The interaction between drinking water from puddles and regular use of organic garden fertilisers, such as compost or animal manure, was associated with a 5.3-fold (95% CI=1.1-25.6) increase in the risk of cats being diagnosed with the disease.
The quote that you posted above does make sense to me as it relates to chemical agents and pesticides. If a cat sleeps mainly on the floor, I suppose it can have more contact with chemicals over the years than cats that don't. Since HT usually occurs in older cats, I can see how that can be a factor.

Now, as far as cat eating different flavors of canned food vs cats who eat the same flavor of canned food, I really can't imagine what the difference might be. The only thing I can imagine is perhaps by eating a variety it prevents the cat from getting finicky thus in the end he will end up eating more/more often. I see that clearly with my cats - I do have one here who eats a variety, and 2 who eats one flavor only due to allergies IBD. The one who eats a variety (Gracie), she eats wet 3-4 times a day, different flavors, and never gets tired of wet. The other 2, on the other hand, will get finicky from time to time, so I have to stop feeding them a couple of meals so they "miss it" then I go back and feed it again. They also don't eat nearly as much wet food as Gracie does. Gracie eats at least 6oz a day, while the other 2 eat 3oz a day and that is pushing. So that might be a factor there....

Coincidentally, Gracie has always eaten 2 wet meals her whole life, and she has Hyperthyroid, by the way.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The quote that you posted above does make sense to me as it relates to chemical agents and pesticides.
Exactly! Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s why I said “However, from the same sourceâ€

Now, as far as cat eating different flavors of canned food vs cats who eat the same flavor of canned food, I really can't imagine what the difference might be.
Possibly/most likely some flavors and the amount of those flavors in the diet a particular cat may be sensitive to based on important info in these two articles

http://www.2ndchance.info/hyperthyroid.htm
scroll down to
Why Did My Cat Develop Hyperthyroidism ?

and
http://www.examiner.com/cats-in-denv...idism-your-cat

People who make blanket statements about canned food overlook/ignore many extremely important details that make all the difference in the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

Exactly! That’s why I said “However, from the same source”

Possibly/most likely some flavors and the amount of those flavors in the diet a particular cat may be sensitive to based on important info in these two articles

http://www.2ndchance.info/hyperthyroid.htm
scroll down to
Why Did My Cat Develop Hyperthyroidism ?

and
http://www.examiner.com/cats-in-denv...idism-your-cat

People who make blanket statements about canned food overlook/ignore many extremely important details that make all the difference in the world.
Since you deleted my statement, leaving only part of it, I am pasting it here again, as that is my theory. The studies are related to the material of the packaging of the can itself, and not of the food, which is why cats eating wet food from a pouch were not affected with an increased risk of HT.

Now, as far as cat eating different flavors of canned food vs cats who eat the same flavor of canned food, I really can't imagine what the difference might be. The only thing I can imagine is perhaps by eating a variety it prevents the cat from getting finicky thus in the end he will end up eating more/more often. I see that clearly with my cats - I do have one here who eats a variety, and 2 who eats one flavor only due to allergies IBD. The one who eats a variety (Gracie), she eats wet 3-4 times a day, different flavors, and never gets tired of wet. The other 2, on the other hand, will get finicky from time to time, so I have to stop feeding them a couple of meals so they "miss it" then I go back and feed it again. They also don't eat nearly as much wet food as Gracie does. Gracie eats at least 6oz a day, while the other 2 eat 3oz a day and that is pushing. So that might be a factor there....

Coincidentally, Gracie has always eaten 2 wet meals her whole life, and she has Hyperthyroid, by the way.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you deleted my statement, leaving only part of it, I am pasting it here again, as that is my theory. The studies are related to the material of the packaging of the can itself, and not of the food, which is why cats eating wet food from a pouch were not affected with an increased risk of HT.
I was only talking about the New Zealand study.

Please, do read the articles I posted.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible I guess but I'm not convinced.
Cuddles who had hyperthryoidism when she was alive
never ate canned food a day in her life.
If given the choice, I'd rather have a cat with Hyperthyroid than a cat with CRF and other related conditions which is why I will stay with canned food.
ETA: It is always a good idea to put the unused portion of canned food in a glass jar with a lid in the fridge so it will not sit and possibly be contaminated once the vaccum seal is broken.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Correlation doesn't always equal causation. . .if you notice in the first bit quoted, hyperthyroid cats were more likely to have used a litterbox! OK, almost all cats use litterboxes, therefore almost all hyperthyroid cats have used litterboxes. Therefore, using a litterbox causes hyperthyroid? I don't think so. Same with canned food, I think. It's all very interesting but I really doubt it's much of an increase in risk, if there's really any causative link at all.

Interestingly, of my mom's old cats, the one who got hyperthyroid is the one who never ate canned food.