Canned food challenges - trying to find a decent back-up/rotation brand.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult to find canned food that multiple cat households eat.  I've tried so many higher end canned foods and most of them get rejected by the cats. My cats aren't always jazzed about gravy or broth either. Wellness turkey and turkey with salmon are the most consistently popular. The Wellness Core with the duck goes over well. Instinct Duck gets mostly eaten but sometimes not. I've tried several varieties of Blue Buffalo and that lasted for a hot minute before they stopped eating it.  I do rotate Fancy Feast as sides to the main attraction (the high end food). What I started doing several years ago is to serve one large 5.5 oz can and 2 3 ounce fancy feast classics of two different varieties and putting them on each cat's plate in their individual areas of the plate. For some reason the variety on the plate has largely been a winning combo.  They get breakfast, dinner and a snack at about 9 PM that rounds out to be about what each cat should eat in a day.

I do put out some kibble at night (about a 1/4 cup between several dishes) just in case someone gets super hungry. Two of the cats really would much rather have kibble than canned and the inclusion of the Fancy Feast is for them. Canned food that doesn't get eaten has no benefit for cats, so sometimes the rotation does include some of the types of canned that purists would gasp in horror that I use.

I have one cat that needs extra moisture so I started him on Primal and Stella and Chewy's because I could heat the water and make it much more soupy. The freeze dried raw isn't as wiggy as flat out raw. But he gets super tired of the same flavors. Scooter, the cat that was on the hunger strike here recently, also liked it.  To spark the interest in the freeze dried raw, I'll "dress" the food with a bit of freeze dried chicken crumbled up as a topper. Parmesan cheese can work too, but I never know when it will and won't.

I've used the Wellness pouches when I just want various cats to at least lick the broth up. When one of the kitties had dental work done, the Fancy Feast broth worked very well. I have been known to use that as a coaxing topper too. (One of my cats is like a ADHD squirrel).

I have six cats and so there's a difference in preference that they all have. Mixing it up is required. Right now they are hating the Fancy Feast so I've thrown some Nutro loaf style in, some Merricks, some Nature's Variety and Max Cat. The center piece is always the Wellness or something similar with the lower end stuff as "appetizers." I've found that once cats nibble on what they like, they are stimulated enough to eat the stuff that's good for them.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat also loves pates and is picky now:) although he will eat some chunky, here are his favorites and mine too for pates:

SHEBA... Super low price and really decent ingredients! Carrageenan, grain, high protein, etc free :)

Wild Calling.... Very high quality and virtually nothing wrong with the ingredients. No artificial anything either! And decently priced

Nutro Natural Choice chunky loaf.... Like everyone else says this one is truly good and most cats really love it. Even picky eaters!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Depends on WHICH Nutro you are dishing up.   Each and every "flavor" is different.  Most are in the range of 1.5%, although the Senior Soft Loafs tend to run a little bit higher.

Sheba seems to be really stingy with their info.  You might try calling them, but we've had problems finding out in the past.  It seems to me I recall hearing once that they were around 1%, but can't verify that.

Do you have a kidney cat?  That chart referenced early on in this thread is GREAT for food for kidney cats, although its more updated here:  http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No he has no kidney problems yet. I was just wondering as he really likes both those foods. I m not even sure there is a need to worry about phosphorus if the cat is healthy. He s 9 with great blood values.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're very good with Blue Buffalo "WILDERNESS" varieties, which we buy auto-delivery, along with other brands and varieties, from our longtime favorite, DrsFosterSmith.com .  Their prices are excellent.  I like to have plenty of stock on food, so we never run out.  Their customer service is excellent (real humans, telephonically or online chat) and we love getting food delivered right to our door.

Last edited: