Canine leukemia and cats

strebor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow my family is beginning to foster a 9 year old Boston Terrier dog who has leukemia (acute, I think) and only has a few weeks to live. I have my two male cats (both 3 years old) in the household. One is healthy and the other one is too, except he has a weaker immune system (no diseases, believe me he's been tested!).

Is canine leukemia at ALL transferable to my cats in any way? I am very worried about them, especially the one with the weak immune system. I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but the adoption place is bringing the dog early tomorrow, and I wanted to know tonight just in case we need to back out. Thank you SO much.

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
leukemia in dogs and FElLV are tow totally differnt things, leukemia in dogs can also be called lymphoma, which is a progressive fatal type of cancer which attacks the lymph nodes and bone marrow, and there is no known virus involved. my dog died from it a few years ago.

Feline Leukemia Virus or FELV is a virus that supressed the immune system, and there is a complicated list of ways cats can be infected, types and strains

so there is no known occurance if interspieces transmission of leukemia from dogs to cats