Cancer of the spleen, liver and lymph, chemo help advice needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rvf4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Wyatt is no different sadly (probably slightly worse after chemo) and very lethargic now plus a bit more wobbly sometimes. He doesn't want touching anymore (sadly as he was my fussy pussy) and went out to lie in the sun the first week but just lies on the floor all day this week. His cowpats turned to water but Metamucil and boulardii just made him cry out in pain and start going on the floor in the guest bathroom (had to put a tray in there) Ive been doing plain boiled chicken and its not so explosive now but still not back to normal (or the new cancer normal). I've been given the names flagyl and Cytoxan as Diarrhea suggestions though heard there can be bad side effects from the first one?

He had the l-asparagine the first week and then the lomustine last week and was the same after each (not a bad thing I suppose, no ups or downs, just the same) the diarrhea didn't start until 4-5 days later. So now not sure if its the cancer making its progression or if its because he is still anaemic or has caught an infection. The vet gave him an iron shot but didn't mention b-12 shots and someone else mentioned a tablet for anemia but guess with his liver being compromised that might be difficult. Guess yet another blood test and ultrasound will be needed soon. $$$

He's still eating like a horse and likes head kisses so we still have that plus no nausea that I can tell.

I forgot to mention in my original post that they said it was non-hodgkins lymphoma

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can't believe how nice it's to hear your guy has appetite. It might sound like a small thing among all the negatives, but believe me, it's big positive. Think that, you can use that. Just keep feeding him things that the tumor can't feed on (no fat or sugar), and with condiments like rosemary, turmeric, oregano, etc. Don't let up.

And of course, all the head kisses in the world. Major importance.

!!! EDIT: I just remembered something. I said the investigation I quoted in another thread might be useless for your case, but there's two things you could try:

- One is Legasil: it's a food supplement, for liver problems no less, which has been also recorded to have anti-cancerous properties. Your vet should have access to it, or a similar alternative. Just be sure it is based on sea thistle (Active Principle: silibinin).

Sources said:
Bosch-Barrera J, et al.
- "Response of brain metastasis from lung cancer patients to an oral nutraceutical product containing silibinin." (2016) Oncotarget. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.7900. PMID: 26959886
Response of brain metastasis from lung cancer patients to an oral nutraceutical product containing silibinin - PubMed
- "Silibinin and STAT3: A natural way of targeting transcription factors for cancer therapy." (2015) Cancer Treatment Reviews. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2015.04.008. PMID: 25944486
Silibinin and STAT3: A natural way of targeting transcription factors for cancer therapy - PubMed
- "Targeting STAT3 with silibinin to improve cancer therapeutics." (2017) Cancer Treatment Reviews. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2017.06.003. PMID: 28686955
Targeting STAT3 with silibinin to improve cancer therapeutics - PubMed
- "Silibinin administration improves hepatic failure due to extensive liver infiltration in a breast cancer patient." (2014) Anticancer Research: Internacional Journal of Cancer Research and Treatment (by The International Institute of Anticancer Research). PMID: 25075066
Silibinin Administration Improves Hepatic Failure Due to Extensive Liver Infiltration in a Breast Cancer Patient

(In Spanish) Un compuesto extraído de un cardo frena la metástasis cerebral [English Translation: << the case of a 39-year-old patient with breast cancer and bone and liver metastases, who came to her office in 2014. The woman did not respond to chemotherapy - with paclitaxel from Pacific yew - and the doctors gave her barely a month of life. Given his liver problems, Bosch prescribed Legasil, a milk thistle-based food supplement marketed as a liver protector. Unexpectedly, the patient reacted and survived 20 months.
(...) The pharmaceutical companies consulted have refused to participate, "perhaps for fear of not recovering the investment," according to Bosch. The treatment with Legasil that they have used this time costs about 100 euros a month, compared to the usual thousands of euros in cancer drugs]
- Second one is Salinomycin: this one is actually a poultry antibiotic, but they discovered it had anti-tumoral properties too. They even said that it was "100 times more effective than chemo, without the adverse effects". Honestly, if it's so crazy good I can't understand why the heck nobody -but those who happen to look for + accidentally find the information- seems to know about it.
As for how easy is to get your hands on it, I haven't been able to in Argentina.

Sources said:
About Salinomycin (trade name: Cassab Feed Microline, Bovisacc)
Description: antibiotic for poultry.
Active Principle: ionophore (coccidiostacts)
Contraindication: can cause hypocalcemia and leukocytes

Sources:

Zhou J, Liu S, Wang Y, Dai W, Zou H, Wang S, Zhang J, Pan J. (2019) "Salinomycin effectively eliminates cancer stem-like cells and obviates hepatic metastasis in uveal melanoma." Molecular Cancer. PMID: 31718679. PMCID: PMC6852970. DOI: 10.1186/s12943-019-1068-1 - Salinomycin effectively eliminates cancer stem-like cells and obviates hepatic metastasis in uveal melanoma - PubMed

Czerwonka D, Urbaniak A, Sobczak S, Piña-Oviedo S, Chambers TC, Antoszczak M, Huczynski A. (2019) "Synthesis and Anticancer Activity of Tertiary Amides of Salinomycin and Their C20-oxo Analogues." ChemMedChem. PMID: 31702860. doi: 10.1002/cmdc.201900593. - Synthesis and Anticancer Activity of Tertiary Amides of Salinomycin and Their C20-oxo Analogues - PubMed

Novohradsky V, Markova L, Kostrhunova H, Trávnícek Z, Brabec V, Kasparkova J. (2019) "An anticancer Os(II) bathophenanthroline complex as a human breast cancer stem cell-selective, mammosphere potent agent that kills cells by necroptosis." Nature. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-49774-x. - An anticancer Os(II) bathophenanthroline complex as a human breast cancer stem cell-selective, mammosphere potent agent that kills cells by necroptosis - PubMed

Zhongyuan Wang, et al. (2019) "Salinomycin exerts anti-colorectal cancer activity by targeting the ß-catenin/T-cell factor complex." British Journal of Pharmacology. PMID: 31236922. PMCID: PMC6692576. doi: 10.1111/bph.14770. - Salinomycin exerts anti-colorectal cancer activity by targeting the β-catenin/T-cell factor complex - PubMed

Hero T, Bühler H, Kouam PN, Priesch-Grzeszowiak B, Lateit T, Adamietz IA. (2019) "The Triple-negative Breast Cancer Cell Line MDA-MB 231 Is Specifically Inhibited by the Ionophore Salinomycin." Anticancer Research. PMID: 31177119. doi: 10.21873/anticanres. - The Triple-negative Breast Cancer Cell Line MDA-MB 231 Is Specifically Inhibited by the Ionophore Salinomycin - PubMed

Otro: Hallan un compuesto capaz de acabar con las células madre cancerígenas | elmundo.es salud

More: salinomycin tumor - Search Results - PubMed
Salinomycin kills cancer stem cells by sequestering iron in lysosomes - Nature Chemistry
No idea if you'll be able to get your hands on these wherever you are, but at least it sounds like a good idea if you do get the possibility. (I'm sorry I didn't think of mention this ealier. I was reading how horrible chemo is for Wyatt and I couldn't believe I had forgotten this until now... I'm very sorry.)

Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rvf4uk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is so great actually as a friend is currently also fighting cancer (colon to liver to gallbladder) and went into the ER last night with Sepsis! I said a couple of weeks ago I would start a list for her and wonder if it would be ok to use the sources you posted recently. I also heard there is a good book written by a lady who has survived cancer twice that lists good foods and supplements to take (can't remember the name and might order it for her) as her doctors haven't given her any feedback with regards to nutrition to fight the disease.

Wyatt had a fantastic week after I posted the last update, it was such a change that I almost forgot he had cancer. He was grooming himself, coming up on the bed or sofa to snuggle, pooping normally and lying outside in the sun though this week we are in a mix of lying back on the floor sometimes, bit of staggering with mixed good and bad poop but it could be the effects of chemo wearing off or the fact my daughter gave him the wrong tablet at the wrong time this weekend.

I have to admit he does get a small ball of cheese for one of his tablets and a bit of whipped cream for the other, which is not great for the cancer but its tiny amounts. The steak I was cooking is filet so lower fat with fat bits cut off and I have gotten some kitten food with pumpkin for some of his meals to boost his calories.

I do have chickens so will go out and check their cupboard as feel that we did buy an antibiotic when they were chicks, just in case we ever needed some, so will check for salinomycin

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so great actually as a friend is currently also fighting cancer (colon to liver to gallbladder) and went into the ER last night with Sepsis! I said a couple of weeks ago I would start a list for her and wonder if it would be ok to use the sources you posted recently. I also heard there is a good book written by a lady who has survived cancer twice that lists good foods and supplements to take (can't remember the name and might order it for her) as her doctors haven't given her any feedback with regards to nutrition to fight the disease.
Ah, how dumb am I, I thought I had already answered this thread >_< Yes, of course. Share with whomever you want and anywhere you want. That's what I'm doing. The data is not mine in any case, and it is published for anybody to read about. And it works for both for humans and animal patients (just cross reference what is safe or not for cats, because they are very particular). Much luck to your friend, I hope they are doing better.

Wyatt had a fantastic week after I posted the last update, it was such a change that I almost forgot he had cancer. He was grooming himself, coming up on the bed or sofa to snuggle, pooping normally and lying outside in the sun though this week we are in a mix of lying back on the floor sometimes, bit of staggering with mixed good and bad poop but it could be the effects of chemo wearing off or the fact my daughter gave him the wrong tablet at the wrong time this weekend.

I have to admit he does get a small ball of cheese for one of his tablets and a bit of whipped cream for the other, which is not great for the cancer but its tiny amounts. The steak I was cooking is filet so lower fat with fat bits cut off and I have gotten some kitten food with pumpkin for some of his meals to boost his calories.

I do have chickens so will go out and check their cupboard as feel that we did buy an antibiotic when they were chicks, just in case we ever needed some, so will check for salinomycin
That's fantastic! Yes, so long as it has Salinomycin, it works - and it's great to hear about Wyatt! I hope this is a trend that continued, and he is as good today, if not better, as what you described last post. With his diagnosis, it's marvellous he's having such a recovery, and I couldn't be happier. If you want to, let us know how he's doing today. Best wishes!

Last edited: