Canadian (specifically Ontario) folks - where do you get your cat trees from?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been wanting forever to get Belle and Delilah a tall cat tree. However, I haven't found anything taller than about 5 feet in-store, and those are either not very stable or ridiculously expensive.

I want something at least 6, preferable 7 or 8 feet tall. I've been looking at Armarkat...has anyone in Canada ordered from them? Even with shipping costs, they are still much cheaper than anything I've seen in-store.

Has anyone found another website (or store) that sells tall cat trees?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only decent ones we saw were at PetValu and were ridiculously expensive so we made our own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The only decent ones we saw were at PetValu and were ridiculously expensive so we made our own.
Yes, I have one from PetValu and got it while it was on sale. It's fairly sturdy but only about 4 feet tall (and 4 feet wide...hence why it is sturdy). I've seen one a bit taller, but it is quite flimsy. I was there yesterday and the clerk showed me a catalogue of one they can get in...but I didn't like the design at all (just basically a pole that connects to the ceiling to make it tall...no platforms up high).

I'd like to make one...or have my BF make one...but realistically know that's never going to happen!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Yes, I have one from PetValu and got it while it was on sale. It's fairly sturdy but only about 4 feet tall (and 4 feet wide...hence why it is sturdy). I've seen one a bit taller, but it is quite flimsy. I was there yesterday and the clerk showed me a catalogue of one they can get in...but I didn't like the design at all (just basically a pole that connects to the ceiling to make it tall...no platforms up high).

I'd like to make one...or have my BF make one...but realistically know that's never going to happen!
Even making your own if you do it well will cost you. Ours cost us over $300 for the materials.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a big one from Petcetera, and it's OK. The boys love it, although it's not good quality. They broke one ledge by simply jumping down on it, and they're not big boys. But it is nice and high and gives them a great perch for birdwatching from.
It was about $90 I think? I would love to make my own, and could if I had a good saw to use.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I searched in my my town too....PetValu was the only place I could get one ....Maybe u could order a different kind if you have a speciality( pet supply) store in your area....I found this out afterwards that this one store would have ordered me one like the one I had in mind...but I am happy with the PetValu one and it was less expensive...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I bought a big one from Petcetera, and it's OK. The boys love it, although it's not good quality. They broke one ledge by simply jumping down on it, and they're not big boys. But it is nice and high and gives them a great perch for birdwatching from.
It was about $90 I think? I would love to make my own, and could if I had a good saw to use.
Can you imagine my big boy Bijou jumping on a less sturdy tree?
Sometimes he walks on my chest and those feet seem to make dents as he walks and it really hurts.

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in BC and lucky enough to live about 30 minutes away from the US border. I have everything shipped to a post office just at the border (still have to cross it though) and then pick up from there. That way, I save lots on the shipping fees. Occasionally, I get taxed on the way back, but even with taxes, it definitely is worth it. Canadian prices for the same items are ridiculous!

I am getting an Armarkat tree this week and doing the same thing. I know, it's so difficult.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Even without a saw, when we made ours we picked up materials at home depot and they cut each piece to size for us (I think we paid a small fee for it but saved the measuring and time cutting, especially for the platforms)

The only decent ones I have seen were a private company who were at a cat show the shelter was at, I have his card somewhere but they were reasonably priced and he showcased it with 4 rather large cats on it at the show. I remember thinking that it would have held Scully so it must have been sturdy. They are a little plain (tends to just be dish shaped platforms than houses etc) but seemed well made

I think it is this one as we have the card on our online database and most trees arent like these ones
http://www.cloud9cattrees.com/9.html

nikkular

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in Ontario, and I got my current cat tree at petsmart. It has two platforms, a scratching post at the bottom, and a cat toy, though the boys have destroyed that thing ages ago. It's pretty sterdy, but it I don't think it was worth the $120 we paid for it. A friend of ours has a floor to ceiling cat tree with alot of platforms, but I have no idea where she got it and how much it cost her though.

Really, anything that i've seen in the pet stores seem ridiculously over priced. I saw a few at Walmart, but I doubt their qualitity.