Canadian CERB payments from 2020...anyone else get them?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, during lockdown 2020, I was off for 14 weeks and then, when lockdown lifted for my profession, I worked a reduced work week for an additional 3 weeks or so.
I received CERB during that time.
I just received a letter from CRA that I was overpaid $1000.00 at the start of all this. I did some calculations and I did receive the equivalent of 17 weeks of $500.00, so yes I will concede to the overpayment.
The thing is...I've already filed and paid income taxes on my employment income for 2020 (that includes the $1000 overpayment). I did receive a refund after filing, but if I redo the calculations on a reduced income of $1000.00, the money that I now have to pay back to CRA, my refund for 2020 should be higher by about $100. I'll admit, I don't completely know what I'm doing when it comes to taxes but it still doesn't make sense that my refund would be the same if my income should have been lower.

Has anyone else received CERB in 2020, and have you gotten notification of overpayment?
And also....am I right that if I paid income taxes on this $1000 that this overpayment should also include adjustments for the taxes I already paid on it?....I'll pay the money back to them...but I should also get my increased refund.....right?
Sorry if my explanation is confusing.....but I'm also a tad confused. LOL!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, during lockdown 2020, I was off for 14 weeks and then, when lockdown lifted for my profession, I worked a reduced work week for an additional 3 weeks or so.
I received CERB during that time.
I just received a letter from CRA that I was overpaid $1000.00 at the start of all this. I did some calculations and I did receive the equivalent of 17 weeks of $500.00, so yes I will concede to the overpayment.
The thing is...I've already filed and paid income taxes on my employment income for 2020 (that includes the $1000 overpayment). I did receive a refund after filing, but if I redo the calculations on a reduced income of $1000.00, the money that I now have to pay back to CRA, my refund for 2020 should be higher by about $100. I'll admit, I don't completely know what I'm doing when it comes to taxes but it still doesn't make sense that my refund would be the same if my income should have been lower.

Has anyone else received CERB in 2020, and have you gotten notification of overpayment?
And also....am I right that if I paid income taxes on this $1000 that this overpayment should also include adjustments for the taxes I already paid on it?....I'll pay the money back to them...but I should also get my increased refund.....right?
Sorry if my explanation is confusing.....but I'm also a tad confused. LOL!
But of an odd question for a Cat website. Call the CRA and maybe a tax lawyer. You can also look on the CRA website about how to dispute decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But of an odd question for a Cat website. Call the CRA and maybe a tax lawyer. You can also look on the CRA website about how to dispute decisions.
The lounge forum is for all topics of discussion. And yes, I'm aware I can call CRA and visit their website...but it's only Saturday and they don't open till Monday and the website mentions nothing about what my question is about. I thought I would see if anyone else has received overpayments and what they did about it and what the outcome was.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks rubysmama rubysmama !!!
So funny, I just finished reading this exact article about 5 minutes ago. I guess I'm waiting till next years tax time to make any adjustments...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks rubysmama rubysmama !!!
So funny, I just finished reading this exact article about 5 minutes ago. I guess I'm waiting till next years tax time to make any adjustments...
I know getting the CERB out to people quickly was necessary, but what a mess with all the over payments. Hope it won't be too confusing for you when you do next years tax return.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know getting the CERB out to people quickly was necessary, but what a mess with all the over payments. Hope it won't be too confusing for you when you do next years tax return.
The U.S. had the same issues with the unemployment checks with the enhanced benefits. They didn't do the usual checking that they do with unemployment because there were so many applications so there was a lot of fraud. Someone used my name and I am assuming they have my social security number which is concerning. I got a letter from unemployment telling me how I could log on to my account online. I did a fraud notice online. I never got a tax form for unemployment received and nothing has shown up anywhere else so I am hoping I am okay.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lounge forum is for all topics of discussion. And yes, I'm aware I can call CRA and visit their website...but it's only Saturday and they don't open till Monday and the website mentions nothing about what my question is about. I thought I would see if anyone else has received overpayments and what they did about it and what the outcome was.
That makes sense!

When they overpaid my CERB they just withheld another payment. Sorry I can't be more helpful.