Can you ???

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

I've met a number of people who worked in vet offices and clinics where, when someone came in with a perfectly healthy cat that they wanted PTS because they didn't like the cat any more, it didn't mesh with their lifestyle, or whatever other selfish, stupid reason they might have to kill something that had suddenly become disposable to them. The vet says "Okay," has the client sign some paperwork and pay them for the procedure, and then when the client leaves, the cat gets re-homed to someone who could actually care for it.

Obviously this isn't something vet clinics advertize, because it's technically fraud: the owner is paying to have their cat PTS, the vet has signed paperwork that it's been done, but instead the cat goes on to live with someone else. I wholeheartedly support this kind of fraud.
me, too!
on topic - i couldn't put my furkids to sleep unless they were dying AND in pain. as long as i thought they were enjoying life, they would be treated as well as possible!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask the vet to do anything you'd like. It's up to the vet whether or not they will do it. Many will refuse such a request, but some will do just about anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Though everyone would be interested in this!!

I took the babies to the vet today, they all have eye boogies...
Only symptom, maybe an occassional sneeze, so he gave me the medicine..

Then asked how I ended up with 4 cats in 8 months..I told him the story, and how I only went to adopt 1, the other 3 found me.. I said how our no kill shelters were full, and they will be with me for life, in order to know for a fact they werent put to sleep at a regular shelter..
And instead of a awwwwww, type of response..I got a "well theres always euthanisia" "that will give them a place to go"

It was one of those things , where you hear something, but really cant believe you heard it.
I replayed it over and over, the whole way out the door, like I know he didnt just say that???

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

I read an awful story on cnn.com a couple months ago about an upstate NY family who had a dog with epilepsy. They could not cope with it so they asked their vet to have it put to sleep. The dog was 3 years old and in good health otherwise, so the vet tried to talk them out of it. Not liking his reply they went to the only other vet in town and made the same demands. The two vets agreed to have a friend take the dog, but they told the owners that he was being put to sleep. The vet even provided the family with the dog's "ashes". The dog was placed with a friend who had experience and understanding of epileptic dogs. The dog did very well with his new owner.

A year later a vet tech employee of the vet left their job very disgruntled about something so out of spite they went to the dog's original owners and told them about how their dog was really still alive. The former owners are now suing the vet because of this. It's completely ridiculous and sad how they were not at all happy that the dog was doing well with the new owner.
I read this as well, but the article I read stated the dog was in poor health with a shortened life expectancy. It also stated the dog only lived with the different owners for another 7 months before dieing from it's condition (the reason the original family wanted it put to sleep). If what I read was correct, I would have to agree with the original family. I would be upset that the animal I thought i was doing a kindness to, was actually taken from and forced to live another 7 months.

But maybe the article I read didn't have all the facts. I'll have to look for the link, not sure where I read it.

~Julia