Can You Use Hydrocortisone Cream On A Cat + Hot Spot Suggestions?

goosed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has what seems to be a hotspot between his shoulders - pink, itchy skin with hair loss. This is recurrent and the vet ruled out infection or any other process, Convenia injection didn't do much last time he had it. The local pet store sells hot spot cream for 18 dollars and the ingredient list shows just 0.5% hydrocortisone. Is it safe to use for-human hydrocortisone cream on him? I'm assuming it is since the ingredients on the pet-safe were just hydrocortisone but wanted to double check.

Also, any suggestions for hot spots? It seems to be bugging him, but he's for the most part his usual self.
Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! have you had a chance to try a food change to see if that makes any difference? Is he coming into contact with something, a plant or something?
Hopefully someone with experience regarding the hydrocortisone will weigh in for you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! have you had a chance to try a food change to see if that makes any difference? Is he coming into contact with something, a plant or something?
Hopefully someone with experience regarding the hydrocortisone will weigh in for you...
Thanks for the response! I have looked into an allergic response - food changes have not made a difference, and over his 3 years he has developed it in three different living situations (in two different states) - sometimes in winter, usually in summer. I attached a photo of the spot - it is always right between his shoulder blades. It's not a great photo, but shows the hair loss and inflamed skin - there are a few scratches, from himself, that are yellowish. I was able to get some hot spot/fungal infection spray but if it isn't showing improvement, I'll bring him in on Tuesday.

His little brother isn't helping much by going for neck grabs during wrestle sessions - I may need to cover it somehow!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I read you could also use chamomile tea, from the bags only on it, and also hydrogen peroxide, let it dry then use the hot spot spray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read you could also use chamomile tea, from the bags only on it, and also hydrogen peroxide, let it dry then use the hot spot spray.
Thank you! I will plan to try that in the morning. Tonight, he let me hold a warm compress on it much longer than I thought he would - laid down and started purring even!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a quick note, the hydrogen peroxide can be a little bit harsh, so keep an eye on things if you go that route :)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat comfortable being covered up by a blanket? I am asking this because if he is comfortable sleeping in your bed or under a blanket I have an idea that could help make him more comfortable. If he enjoys sitting in your lap or cuddling on the bed that would be helpful for this too. I am thinking that perhaps a heating pad on low over the area could help make him more comfortable until your vet opens on Tuesday. This will only work if he allows you to keep a heating pad in place on him. Another idea would be to put a small heated blanket over him while he is chilling. I am not sure if your baby would deal with either option but thought I would just put it out there. This is just another way to do a hot compress if your cat does not enjoy being wet. It is a little harder to do though since the area you are dealing with is on the top of the cat.

When my 12 year old Starbuck was spayed as a kitten she got an infection in her spay incision after the stitches were removed. The vet cleaned out the abscess and put her on antibiotic to clear up the infection. I was told to use a hot compress to keep the incision line from becoming inflamed again until the antibiotic cleared up the infection. Starbuck was a kitten at the time and getting her to sit still to do hot compress that was wet was not working. She liked to sleep in my bed at that age. I got a small heated blanket and placed it next to me on the bed. I was able to wrap her up in the blanket and use that as a heated compress because she would not tolerate getting wet at all. I just layed on the bed watching tv and waited for her to come lay down next to me. I put the blanket down on the bed and she would actually wrap herself up in it. I tried a heating pad but she would not stay on it long enough for it to be useful. She used to sleep in the bed under our electric blanket when she was a kitten during the winter. I did not want to heat my entire bed up as a compress in the summer. The blanket was small enough that I could lay on the bed with her without making myself uncomfortable. Starbuck made a full recovery from this issue.