Can you tell if a cats been spayed?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The funniest thing that I've ever had a vet do:

We found our OTB Shep when she was about 4 years old. We brought her to the vet to find out if she was spayed or not. He flipped her on her back and was feeling around her abdomen trying to find a spay scar. Scars sometimes thicken and you can feel them. Then he flipped her on her feet, lifted up her tail to examine her backside and proclaimed "she has a butt!".

He couldn't find the scar and even though she was an indoor/outdoor cat, she never got pregnant. The vet told us that even if he had shaved her, he may not find the scar and we didn't want to put her thru unnecessary surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The funniest thing that I've ever had a vet do:

We found our OTB Shep when she was about 4 years old. We brought her to the vet to find out if she was spayed or not. He flipped her on her back and was feeling around her abdomen trying to find a spay scar. Scars sometimes thicken and you can feel them. Then he flipped her on her feet, lifted up her tail to examine her backside and proclaimed "she has a butt!".

He couldn't find the scar and even though she was an indoor/outdoor cat, she never got pregnant. The vet told us that even if he had shaved her, he may not find the scar and we didn't want to put her thru unnecessary surgery.
The vet actually said that!!? How funny..........

I also dont wanna put her through any unnecassasry surgery....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll share this with you, and it's going to make you laugh. When Scratch came to live with us, we really couldn't tell. All of his documentation said he was a boy, but his sister was in the same cage so there could have been a mix up. I had to take him into the vet and have her tell me.

Poor Scratch, he was traumatized by being taken out of his only home, stuck in an apartment with 8-Bit, and then taken to the vet and molested. No wonder it took him a while to come out from under the big red chair. I'd be upset too.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

The vet actually said that!!? How funny..........
Yes he did. Then again, he's the same vet that we took to a Jimmy Buffett concert and on the way back from the concert, left butt prints on our van's window when he mooned the car behind us. From that moment on, I realized that vet's are just human too.......

Sorry for the tangent......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Yes he did. Then again, he's the same vet that we took to a Jimmy Buffett concert and on the way back from the concert, left butt prints on our van's window when he mooned the car behind us. From that moment on, I realized that vet's are just human too.......

Sorry for the tangent......
Thats my kinda vet!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also, we shave the girl dog's bellies at the shelter to check for a spay scar.