Can you tell how far along she is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mady880841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the baby did latch. Mama cat is breathing hard and panting. Could she still have another baby?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let's hope not!

This is not uncommon after giving birth. It is probably after pains. She is also exhausted and under some stress.

Has she had any food or water yet? She may not be hungry immediately as she probably ate the placentas, but you need to offer.

Her calcium reserves may be low, which can cause seizures, so you need to give her KMR as soon as she will drink it.

She will need extra nutrition and protein to nurse 9 babies. A raw beaten egg mixed into her wet food is also good.

Keep an eye on her.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh my,  another cat with 9 kittens. This is very exciting. Walmart is a good place to find a scale. I got mine for $12.99 a digital so it would be easy to read. Wishing you the best with this large family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mady880841

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been doing the rotating. I left the room for 30 mins and mama has brought all the babies back to her nest

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will do that. You may have to take them to another room so she can't.

Does the group who is not nursing settle down and sleep while they wait?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness, another huge litter!!

It will be very helpful as others have mentioned to read through the link that was given above. (help first time kitten mom)

This explains everything about how you will be caring for them, as it is far too much for one mom to handle alone.

We do need weights to monitor though, asap.

Otherwise there is no way to guide you with the amts to supplement, and you WILL be supplementing. This is overload for momma girl, like caring for 2 full litters together, which is impossible.

catmommy22322

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M mady880841

I have been searching the forum everywhere for your thread! Welcome to thecatsite.com! :wavey:

I am the other cat Grammy who had 9 kittens! I dont know if you have read through my thread yet but it has wondeful information on it and everyone on this site is amazing on helping. I dont know if you have had baby kittens before, but if you have any questions about the rotating, best diet for mama, or things like that please ask! My babies just got to 2 weeks and 2 days and finally thriving! The first 2 weeks, im not gonna lie, are going to be exhausting. You MUST rotate the babies, that is one of the most important things and supplementing. Im sorry if you already know all of this (as it has also been stressed above me).

Cant wait to see all the pictures and see their weights but like I said just ask me anything. Ive been through heck and back with my kitties and would love to help out another in any way I can!

Also, something I would suggest buying now as I just started dealing with the mama cat, is something called udder balm! Her nipples are going to get sore at some point but i bet if you start applying it sooner rather than later it will help with chapping (i unfortunately didnt learn till later)

Good luck Grandma and cant wait for an update!
:rbheart:

Last edited: